I Forge Iron

Popping in the forge? gas related

OriginalPancake

Hi all! I quickly progressed from coal to gas in a matter of trying coal once. :P we dont agree. Anyrate. Disclaimer: I am 99% self taught so..I followed the plans laid out by a youtuber i made a gas forge and burners out of an old propane tank and some pipe. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiSgR-IJMyk) I am quite proud of myself i learned how to stick weld also. After a couple of small projects (simple tons, knife and Kukhri) im getting more comfortable really cranking the heat. I have since then got a fire brick to go inside and i stack on the backside of the forge. I am running a 30 psi regulator. Being said when i light the forge i steadly increase the gas, when i hear popping i increase it more. At one point just recently i was unable to increase my gas flow and i kept hearing the popping. A couple questions: What do i need to do to stop this? get a higher regulator? I assume my forge was too hot? I also assume if i continue to let the popping happen that is bad? Thanks in advance.

forge update.jpg

forge.jpg

On 3 of 4 my propane forges it means that one of the gas jets is not aligned perfectly with the axis of the mixing tube.  Turning the pressure up is only a "patch" and not a fix. (the 4th is a blown burner and so doesn't have that issue.)

BTW shouldn't you be asking the person who provided the directions you followed?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/15/2018 at 11:59 AM, ThomasPowers said:

On 3 of 4 my propane forges it means that one of the gas jets is not aligned perfectly with the axis of the mixing tube.  Turning the pressure up is only a "patch" and not a fix. (the 4th is a blown burner and so doesn't have that issue.)

How do you fix this i am having this problem too.

How do you know you're having the same problem? If you are Thomas described what it is so the fix is obvious. Align the jet properly. Did you check the date on these posts? They're better than 2 years old.

We'll help you trouble shoot your burners but we need to know something useful to evaluate the problem and make meanigful suggestions.

What type are they? What size? Please list the components and sizes.

Lastly how about some pictures, NOT videos, still pictures. One of the whole burner as mounted in the forge, one looking in the forge at the flame just after its lit and another from the side so we can see how much and what color the flame coming out the forge opening looks like.

Taking ANY pictures with with the light source on the far side is a waste of time, all that's visible is the light. Take the pics with the light behind you against a dim background so we can see the flames. Yes?

Give us the details we need and we'll be able ad happy to help.

Frosty The Lucky.

Different burner designs don't necessarily act just the same. Mikey burners will huff when the gas pressure is too low; what is going on is the flame snuffing out and  quickly relighting itself. If ignored, the flame will burn back into the mixing tube.

A popping sound can be made by a minor gas leak between the MIG contact tip's thread and the gas pipe--on this burner design. Liquid dish-washing detergent in water can be spread on the suspected joint, the gas turned on, and the orifice covered with a finger, to make a soap bubble test for a gas leak at this spot.