I Forge Iron

More New Stuff from an Old Man's Front Yard

JPH

Hello:

Here's some more new stuff that was done this last week...made by an old man in his front yard.. One piece worked..the others are what I call a  "pattern fail"...The one that worked is that wavy "feather pattern" and I wasn't sure it would turn out OK but it did.... Now the others, while they are OK as far as knives go..are not what I was going for in this pattern..Oh well..as I said before...experience is what you get when you don't get what you want... Materials are 1095, L-6 and a small amount of meteoric iron.. Bovine ivory or exotic hardwood grips..all have phosphor bronze fittings..

Even with the failures..all in all the knives are OK I guess..all but one was a fail..Oh well.. At least that one came out as I wanted...sigh

Hope these pics come out alright..

Well this old man needs to get back to work...

JPH

DSC05013A.jpg

DSC05014A.jpg

DSC05015A.jpg

DSC05017A.jpg

DSC05019A.jpg

DSC05020A.jpg

DSC05022A.jpg

DSC05023A.jpg

DSC05025A.jpg

DSC05026A.jpg

The wavy feather pattern is stunningly beautiful to me.  I'd be happy to own any of the others as well.   This does bring up an interesting topic though regarding "failures."

Several times I've shown someone what I have done and they don't see any mistakes or problems.  I see a lot of them.  Upon reflection I think it's really the difference between what I had intended to do (the picture in my head) and the final product.  It is a mistake or failure in the sense that I didn't get the desired results, however, other people don't know what I intended to do so to them there is no failure at all.