I Forge Iron

My Heybudden

Hi guys I’m new to the group and would love some assistance with figuring out this gorgeous old anvil that my son and I are going to use for forging knives instead of him playing video games. I’ll post a pic and hopefully you guys can assist with some information about this gorgeous old girl 

F6FD0193-C26E-4192-85C2-03838C3E5DB6.jpeg

7C1452F9-BE66-44FE-8979-0A79DEEE0C44.jpeg

4242B241-CB50-482C-9506-E3C40E25A385.thumb.jpeg.62339350afe5578d7c64ec7e86b86061.jpeg

135C44B4-A0ED-40E6-A5E9-CE6E8C0B6BC3.jpeg

D47C33DD-5350-4836-BB9F-ED4BF0CC8E50.jpeg

4F294D2B-7086-4283-A1A4-AB386F68E47B.jpeg

EB81C835-2419-4B47-9278-567047283DE4.jpeg

C5C13443-9290-4B04-8FB5-2D8580442F15.jpeg

D5365EAE-3BAC-4090-B63B-E4C1C27419E0.jpeg

I hope that is sufficient 

The stand came with it so I’m not sure 

18 minutes ago, Rojo. Pedro said:

Yeah. What is that stand?  Anvil looks nice too

The elderly gentleman said they came together by rail when he was a boy so that’s all I’m going off of 

Welcome to IFI... I suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/48833-read-this-first/

Your Hay Budden looks like a keeper for sure. Have you read about doing no grinding, milling or welding on the face? What else do you want to know about it? The serial number on the foot under the horn would help with about when it was made. Looks like the stamped weight is 120 pounds.

I love that stand!  That's got to be the coolest stand I've ever seen.  

Like others have said, don't grind or mill the surface of that nice anvil.  I had one that was pretty rough and I just used water and a carborundum stone to lightly abrade the surface to bring it back to where it needed to be.  I doubt I lost any measurable steel from the face and using water and good old hand power I didn't risk heating the surface up at all.  There are some things that can't be fixed not even with 10 years of solid forging, but the more you forge hot metal on it the smoother the surface of the face will get.

If I had to take a wild guess I can see the following scenario for how that stand came to be:

Group of steelworkers on a bridge project back in the day of hot riveting the structure together.  One of the project blacksmiths cracks his cast iron anvil stand and they have to rig something up out of cutoff parts.  From all I can see it is held together completely by those lovely conical headed rivets and the one tie-bolt.  Don't see a single weld.

I’m a union Ironworker and really like your thought on the back in the rivet days scenario . There isn’t a weld on it anywhere and it’s so cool. I will take all of your advice on cleaning and treatment gentlemen. Thanks for your input it’s appreciated. I just have to figure out the serial number for some lineage for my inquisitive mind and build a forge and get to work with it . 

Hahaa!!! I’ve never seen one like that anywhere. And chaining it down isn’t necessary. One man can’t pick it up . I’ve tried and it’s just too heavy . Haha

21 hours ago, arkie said:

You might try dusting some flour on the serial number and maybe you can decipher most of the stamping that way.  Looks like a lot of chisel and punch testing went on there.

Thanks for that . I’ll try the flour trick