I Forge Iron

Looking for advise please

Cornishdave

A couple pics could help tremendously.  One showing the flame at the end of the burner tube/flare in the forge before it's up to temperature is helpful.  One at the air inlet which shows the mig tip could also be helfpul (again while the burner is lit).

Yeah, that looks like a flame spreader on the end of the burner rather than what we normally think of as a flare.  I would expect that the entire spreader part would get glowing hot in use and the heat may travel back up the mixing tube.  I've never seen a burner like that used in a forge before, so I have no idea as to how effective it will be.

I think that weird flared thing is supposed to be some sort of inducer and the "flare" they are talking about  is the short piece of pipe over the mixing tube end, If so then if the "flare" is stuck too deep into the forge it will get heated up---just like if you stick a piece of metal into the forge.

However it's an uphill battle when people won't give enough information.

And asking £39 (about $70 USD), too. Yowza.

53 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I think that weird flared thing is supposed to be some sort of inducer and the "flare" they are talking about  is the short piece of pipe over the mixing tube end

This appears to be the case. The "weird flared thing" appears to have some kind of socket inside it where the burner assembly can be inserted and held (perhaps at an adjustable depth?) with a thumbscrew. It looks like the MIG tip would be just outside of where the flared section connects to the mixing tube.

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

And asking £39 (about $70 USD), too. Yowza.

This appears to be the case. The "weird flared thing" appears to have some kind of socket inside it where the burner assembly can be inserted and held (perhaps at an adjustable depth?) with a thumbscrew. It looks like the MIG tip would be just outside of where the flared section connects to the mixing tube.

Your right yeah the thumb screw allows you to adjust the height of the mig nozzle in the tube. 

My problem I think was caused by the burner to deep in the forge with not enough gas pressure pushing. I’ve had it running again earlier and with a bit of tickling here and there the burner tube appears cooler. Planning some more practice running tomorow