I Forge Iron

Williams Foster

Can someone tell me what I have here. I can tell its a williams foster. Im currently working on building a forge. Before I could get my rail road track set up to hammer my first piece of metal I aquired this anvil. Know nothing at this point. Will I love or hate this? Approximate value?

20181030_161347.jpg

20181030_161356.jpg

12 minutes ago, Scotty30815 said:

Can someone tell me what I have here.

It's an anvil.

Okay, that was a bad joke. In all seriousness, Fosters are decent anvils, and as long as it's in reasonably good shape, it should serve you reasonably well. Can we get a shot of the face? How's the rebound?

And remember, no grinding!

If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

What you have there is a London pattern anvil.     William Fosters are date stamped so you have a date and it looks like 1838 so not considered really old for an anvil, (pre-1800 for those and it postdates the addition of a pritchel---generally in the 1820's) I have an 1828 WF myself that I use in the shop.  Weight should be in CWT system.

Any stampings on the other side?

Value depends on LOCATION; here in Mexico that would be a lot cheaper than over in California, expensive in Australia; cheaper in England, etc. (World Wide Web---we have people participating in over 100 different countries here.) Note too that the condition of the face can change the value of an anvil by 50% and we haven't seen that yet. (Like selling a used car: the face of the anvil is the engine---having a good working engine ups the value of a used car a lot!)

Will you love it: sort of depends on what you plan to use it for. Have you done the ball bearing test and the ring test?  What were the results? What's the weight?  Given that it passes the tests and is sized for what you want it to do you should have a good using anvil. Otherwise, otherwise.

Wire brush on a drill or angle grinder and PPE a MUST. A wipe down on the sides with Boiled linseed oil if you want to keep it as the brush left it. DO NOT REMOVE ANY OF THE FACE, wire brushing is fine and then hot steel being hammered on it will polish it out nicely. Note WF anvils are prone to catastrophic failure if abused with overly large hammers on horn and heel. So only use a sledge in the sweet spot---if you must use one.

You are off to a good start. Now build a box with legs to raise the forge up to a comfortable height (JABOD). Get a tree stump to raise the anvil, you'll be in seventh heaven.:)

A tip, cut the wood into smaller chunks to make charcoal faster.

Welcome to the insanity... Next thing you know you will join ABANA and find an affiliated club near you.

You have NO idea...for now im confortable with ground forge but as you said EVENTUALLY the forge will be tabletop...the anvil OMG has too be raised. 32oz framing hammer DOES NOT work...i used what i had...harbor freight engineering hammer in my near future. And ill be joining phillip morris artist blacksmith guild for xmas...yeap already had planned EXACTLY what you just said. Went xxxx backwards on my tongs...oh well vice grips will do..and i LEARNED.

Edited by Mod34
Edited for inappropriate language

NO need for anything fancy, any smooth faced hammer will work fine. I recommend you not use heavier than 32 oz. till you develop some hammer control and I'm a huge fan of 32 o. drill hammers especially for starting out. Shorter handles make for better control and less fatigue.

Take a look at the JABOD forge threads even if you don't put one in a box the way the bricks and tuyere are arranged is what makes them effective. That type forge has been in use for thousands of years, well before iron. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 2:22 AM, Frosty said:

I recommend you not use heavier than 32 oz. till you develop some hammer control

Take a look at the JABOD forge threads.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah bought a 3 lb cross pien...for 2nd day at forge..im having to choke up on it. 

The JABOD forums are actually where i saw use a box. My uncle gave me several boxes of fire brick several years ago. Thinking even if i leave the forge in the ground but box it in with the bricks...itd probably help tremendously with heat retention. Went through a 55 gal drum of charcoal in several hours. (Turning 1/4 x 3/4 bar into tongs and unbending springs) But it DID get my flint striker to almost sparking which I hear is welding temp...

20181109_083934_HDR.jpg