I Forge Iron

Forge Complete (with pictures)

Pr3ssure

So I’ve got the flex pipe and I’ve got it all connected, now I’m just wondering the best way to go about mounting it. Should I just make a simple stand to go beside the forge or just weld/bolt a mount to the table? DDD3365F-8E45-486D-81B8-2F44B88E1E54.thumb.jpeg.0ba919b123cfff274d75546d88ac9d0e.jpeg

The middle shorts of the frame are on the sides of the table, so I could make a mount to go on the side of the table fairly easy. 

BE317B6F-CDE4-4225-BBA9-E505AF279174.thumb.jpeg.dd9381180d3b97c8230d4cb07893000f.jpeg

This is a picture standing at the front of the table. 

Well I mounted the blower and got the plate put on the bottom of the tuyere. The forge is officially ready to go. I still want to weld some walls around the table and paint everything in some heat resistant paint but that’s neither here nor there. I just need to mount my anvil and get some coal, thinking about trying to see if I can get metal hot enough with wood/ charcoal. I have a little bit of anthracite I can probably mess around for a little bit with but it’s not a lot. More progress has been made this month than in the last year and a half. I’m super excited to fail horribly until I fail just right. 

37229F21-3367-40F7-ADA9-70C7AF631903.jpeg

463EAB15-7F15-481A-BDA4-1B6D778FE9E1.jpeg

Probably because some old curmudgeon suggested he mount it higher than the fire pot? My question is why the blower outlet is aimed away from the fire pot? Turning almost 180* right out of the blower isn't a good thing. 

Still it looks pretty good Pr3ssure it should have you up and smithing in no time.

Now, go get em tiger!

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow you ARE old Thomas! It's been a darned long time since folk had to turn a crank to make electricity for themselves. Us more modern old coots just wire electric motors in and use a switch. I believe Pr3ssure is younger than both of us put together. 

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Probably because some old curmudgeon suggested he mount it higher than the fire pot? My question is why the blower outlet is aimed away from the fire pot? Turning almost 180* right out of the blower isn't a good thing.

Lol, something like that. I also did read up about the coal gas getting into the blower, it’s turned though because I didn’t feel like cutting the square pipe I had any shorter and it’s just too tall/too close to the table to be turned. Still have easy access to the opening to adjust air, I might cut it a little shorter but for now it works. I wanted to just mount it right to the frame of the table but the blower was too high, i would have had to cut a piece out of the table for it to go there. With time though I may just make it shorter in length and height. Just do my math right so nothing is rubbing. I’d say she gets more than enough air as is though. 

Also if any mods want to delete the first post with the “complete” pictures to clean up the post a little, go ahead. 

Yeah, I plan on doing that. I’ve got plenty of bed frame and thicker angle iron. I’m not sure how I want to do it yet though. 

After looking at my pictures I think I might take some length off the mount and cut the square tube a little shorter so I can face it towards the tuyere. It’ll make it a little more compact and it should still keep gasses out of the blower. 

One thing I am wondering, how should I make all sides of the fire pot touch steel? The only thing I can come up with aside from bending the entire table to the shape is just weld in some filler under the high sides. I’d like to have a properly shape table for my pot but I just don’t think that’s possible for me. 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Mount it at the correct height for YOU to turn the crank at!

It’s an electric blower, only thing I have to turn is the opening on the side for air control. 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I believe Pr3ssure is younger than both of us put together.

I’m 25 (I think). Is that bad I have to think about it? Hopefully I can get real good by the time I’m 30. Man that feels weird. 30, jeez where does it go a fast. 

Rumber those cats on Amber really tires you out fast and that thing about flying kites into thunderstorms is a bit sketchy  Folks are still wondering why Ben didn't fry.

(sorry; busy day; didn't get something fixed till after the usual van had left. And on sinus meds for what we so elegantly refer to as "Blowing your Brains out your Nose.")

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Folks are still wondering why Ben didn't fry.

Because he had his nephew fly the kite while he watched and took notes from indoors. Ben was a genius you know.

Pr3ssure: You can aim the blower outlet down the air flow won't care. It might work and you won't have to trim the mount down.

Nah, you don't want to fill the gap between table and fire pot with weld. It'd be a shame to do that to the fire pot just make the next forge fit the fire pot. Till then you can always ram the table with damp clay. You'll be able to bring the general level even with the fire pot lip and leave a channel for the pass throughs. 

Bummer about the nose thing Thomas, I hate not being able to breath. Have you gotten a flu shot yet? It made both Deb and I all over achy and . . . really not good. It passed in a day though, no fever, sinus problems, bad stomach, etc. I just felt like I'd been beat with a stick. Better than the flu though, this batch is already killing people and the season isn't here. 

Sorry about going on about old fogy gripes but this reaction really stuck in my  mind. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:10 AM, Frosty said:

Nah, you don't want to fill the gap between table and fire pot with weld. It'd be a shame to do that to the fire pot just make the next forge fit the fire pot. Till then you can always ram the table with damp clay. You'll be able to bring the general level even with the fire pot lip and leave a channel for the pass throughs. 

I wasn’t meaning welding the actual fire pot. Just welding some steel to the table, so there aren’t gaps and the pot sits flush on something all the way around. To me it seems stupid to ruin a nice piece of history but I know some people would do that without a thought. I didn’t think of the clay thing though, I might have to go dig some up. 

I understood what you were saying. I was suggesting a tried and true alternative. You could cut pieces of steel and just lay them under the lip as shims. They could extend a few inches past the rim so it was easier to rake coal. Lot's of things you could do to even the table and firepot. 

Claying the forge is old school, usually to dissipate heat over a cast iron pan but it works a treat to match the table and fire pot. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing like a step thing with the steel but I think the clay would work better. I could make a little slope with it. Actually got me thinking, would it work to just cover the table with refractory cement and make it in the shape of a table meant for my fire pot? Even just clay might do, I might try it just as an experiment. 

Charles didn't suggest cutting the fire pot, it's the table that can be trimmed. 

If you clay the table only JUST enough water it will hammer hard. Do NOT make mud out of it you're not making pottery. When I say hammer hard I mean use a wooden mallet or hammer and hammer the DAMP earth till the mallet bounces. If you mix about 3 pts. sand to 1 pt. clean clay it won't shrink check when it dries. If you use too much water it'll shrink check no matter what you do.

The blower looks good. 

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

What did you make with the glowy steel?

I didn’t have the anvil over at the garage, so nothing. I am taking the anvil over here in a bit though. So I’m gonna try and do something. 

11 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Looks good and not so much in the way and be easier to get to the air gate.

Yeah, when I did it the first time I was just in a hurry and didn’t really think about it. So I actually made some measurements the second time.