I Forge Iron

Azad factory, hand crank blowers

Butcher Brush

It's a good question, AZAD also makes forge and melters to go with. I didn't look at prices but I'm looking forward to someone on the forum who's used one to speak up. It'd be good to have a good modern hand crank blower on the market. The ones you see on FIF don't look worth the effort.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys for the reply, I don't know if i should buy one of these or a used antique? I really like old tools and would like to get an old blower eventually, but having a new one shipped to the door is appealing. My hair dryer has been working ok for a year now, but its a pain. I will be ordering something tomorrow.

If you do get one and try it out it would be good for a review if you have tried something else like a champion 400 or something just to base the review on. Know anyone with a different one to try? Hmm.. or even a video of it in use. I'm sure there are others thinking about different new available blowers. I'm also interested to see the results if Iron Dwarfs blower he is working on making. 

Just about any old model hand crank or pump blower is better than any thing new I have seen.. 

Even the smallish units sold as farmer units throw out a good blast with serviceable results vs modern.. 

Buffalo Silent 200's..  Champion 400 or Cannedy-Otto western chief are all top of the line old blowers.. Buffalo made a 100 and a 500 that I know of without looking it up.. 

I have used all sorts of blowers from nearly all MFG's and the old ones are plenty good enough.. 

Jen, how easy are blowers to find reasonably in your neck of the woods? I know here in California they aren’t particularly easy to find, and like so many areas now they want collector prices when you do. 

I don’t belong to the California BSA but maybe that would be the trick for folks to network outside of the “collector” circles.

I don’t need one, I still have my smaller Champion, just commenting on prices I’ve seen lately.

Especially Champion 400 out here are higher than Buffalos’, but then again many of the first type have their stands still, and I can honestly say I’ve never seen a Cannedy Otto out here for sale or even in someone’s shop. I wonder if they were more regional in distribution, or if it’s simply a numbers game of total number sold of that brand.

Jlp,I have seen two 400 models for sale locally for 200 and 250 in the past year,but its a 150 mile round trip to pick them up.Alot of what is being sold online is either ,not all there,broken or overpriced.I really like old tools,being a wood worker ,homesteader type.I really need to get connected with other smiths in my area,its like they are hoarding the good stuff,lol.Thank you for the reply.I am still looking online for something under 200,and can wait a few more days to purchase,been looking at blowers and home builds for a year now.Whats a few more days?The azads look nice ,and heavy duty,i have so many projects,it would be nice to just plug and play ,and not need to rebuild ,fabricate etc.

not easy here anymore to find though they do show up on CL once in awhile..   And certainly not at a good price point..  As with all blacksmithing items these days. they are very high.. Typically in the 200+ range..  And sadly a lot of them have been damaged by water as a lot of them were just thrown outside.. 

The best place to find them is with a local group.  This past year the NEB group had a few they had for sale as did the Tailgaters.

I too haven't see the numbers on the CO's.. Could be distribution..  But Also it seems CO while a quality product just wasn't as popular. I own one but it was a barter with another smith for work performed..  I also owned a CO firepot which was briliant in design and I liked it a lot.. 

It also used good cast iron.. I found it on top of a scrap pile about 50ft tall.. I was looking for some 1" thick by 6" wide to make a new firepot and this firepot was sitting upside down all stacked up balanced on a rod..  I was shocked to see it as this pile of scrap hadn't been moved in maybe 20 years... Anyhow the tie rods were completely rusted away.   I made a move on it and as I approached the bar the firepot and tuyere assembly shifted and I lunged for it and caught the bottom ash slide before it toppled over and fell into the heart of the pile.. 

It was a find from heaven..  Of course when I got back in the office I was told that if I ever got caught up on a pile of scrap again. I would be banned for life.. 

2 things are a common theme amongst older smiths..   Peter Wright anvils and champion 400 blowers were the bomb..  The Champion 400's are a really nicely machined item with ball bearing throughout.. 

Myself I preferred the Hay Buddens and Buffalo silent 200 though this blower is mainly bushings..  This left me to a fairly good treasure trove.. 

Up till a few years ago  i had never seen a Buffalo with a stand available.. and Not a one around here and still haven't..  They were always mounted on the forge or mounted funky because of the mounts..  This blower on stand came from TX.. 

It was only about 2 years ago that I bought the 16" which was on a stand..   

The champion 400's on the other hand were always on stands and I know of 5 in the area that are on stands.. 

They Champion started to share the same bottom casting/mount as the CO blower..    I often wonder if they started to share castings with each other as a way to cut mfg costs..  Buffalo also started using the Champion style mount and also the CO style mount.. 

Butcher Brush...    I've gotten to the point of not minding a road trip to get a product I want..  Inconvenient sure.. 

Today these old tooling/machines made by  Buffalo, Champion, Cannedy- Otto, Plumber, Russell-Willey etc, etc, are getting more and more scarce.. With more and more people getting involved with forging I keep hoping they will all move to electric blowers and discover they don't need a model 3 Champion tire shrinker  and list it for reasonable money knowing that no one else but me would want it.. :) 

I remember a time when old smiths were still swearing at or about tire shrinkers and swage blocks as being toe breakers and just taking up room in the shop.. Most moved them outside to the bushes.. .

I'd love to find a Columbian #3 tire bender. or Champion #3. I knew where there was one but the guy wouldn't sell it do me. Though he didn't use it since 1973. I used to drive by his shop every year to see if he was still in business.. When I quite smithing I stopped driving by and yup, he closed shop and from what I was told all the stuff went to scrap.. 

ID, is the Azad exactly the same, or just the same maker as the Zomax? It’s hard to tell from the pictures I saw here and other places online, but it seemed like the Azad casting where the the hand crank axle enters is longer, maybe giving more support (or not, not knowing why it’s made that way). Thanks for the information on the Zomax that the DONT have bushings inside, etc. if the gears were tough enough it could be worth reworking them, but if the gearing isn’t quality there’s no use.

Butcher it’s up to you what it’s worth. However for the prices folks sell them for today I’d really want to make sure they were 100% complete and with NO internal damage. If in good shape then I might justify it if I had the funds available. I’m guessing prices aren’t going to go down.

BB, That all depends on the condition and mainly if it Works well. Also you would want to take the top of the grear case off and inspect the gears. For that much you don't want to cry more than once finding a surprise problem with it like a chipped tooth on a gear or a rotted out fan fin. 

Take a little time to educate yourself on the problems an old 400 can have so you knoe what to look for. There are a few on here. Also some videos on youtube of Technicus Joe repairing some. 

Value becomes subjective to the individual...   

For me.. If the blower is quite, the brass pinion gear isn't worn to badly then it would be a done deal if I needed a blower..      LOL  or wanted one..     Today I only buy if it's an outstanding unit  or complete junk for little money and it has a unique feature I can't live without.. 

Problem with long distant purchases is: the person picking it up has no clue as to what is good or is not and can't act as a purchasing agent that knows what they are looking for/at.. 

The blower I bought on Ebay from TX was junk and I paid good money or more money than I would have if I had seen it in person.. Luckily I can fix the wear.. Not many have the knowledge or tooling to do such a thing..  I had a friend of mine who lives near there pick it up and ship it to me as the seller wouldn't ship it..    Had I been within a 3hr drive I would have hopped in the car and checked it out myself.. 

I am going to call the guy right now,he swears its  in perfect running order,just doesnt use it anymore,switched to propane.I just cant use the hair dryer any longer.Das wolf ,i will do some more research on it before i  decide,thanks guys,sorry my messages are short and sloppy,i am posting from a tablet,my typing skills stink.

No worries BB, I'm typing on my phone. Should see how many corrections I have to make typing on a small area with a big thumb. Lol I literally have to proof read everything I type, and still miss errors. Some misspellings are just on me...

Oh well,scratch the azad for now,I bid on a 400,I will know on Sunday.The Azad looks like a decent blower ,but the 400 is a better investment,as long as nobody gets crazy attempting to out bid,hopefully  I win it for under 200 shipped to the door,fingers crossed.Now i need a propane burner for the little fire brick forge,omg.I am really glad  I forge Iron exists,thanks guys.