I Forge Iron

Super-Charged Side Draft Forge

Frosty, in your design, isn't there a possibility that the difference in air density could act as a wall against the much warmer gases? Maybe not if the pipe comes out at the back of the chimney; as long as it doen't create disturbance that would increase the 'wall effect'. What do you think?

No, it's a forced draft and the chance a column of cold air could overcome the force of a blower is pretty much nil. If there were a column of cold air that heavy in the stack a fire sure wouldn't do it.

Are you familiar with naturally aspirated propane burners?

The simple description is a jet of low volume high pressure gas (or whatever) is aimed down a length of tubing. It creates a low pressure zone and induces (draws) air (or whatever) into the tube behind it.

These are very common devices used for everything from feeding burners on a gas range to making vacuum for storm drain cleaning trucks.

It's old, well tested technology. but certainly not my design Bernoulli died in 1705.

Frosty

nice job Jose but it is an ''overkill''
With this size of blower I run 5 forges in my school and smithy with very good result
very cheap and much less work. see BP 1048 ''SIDE DRAFT CHIMNEY''
In our days we must think also how to save energy when it is not needed!!!!!!!!!
HOFI

In your opinion how many CFM would be best for a single forge?

• 3 months later...

Jose,
I thought it was a brilliant Idea. ;) A guy has got to work with what he has, and then make it work for him.
I will be using some of what you have presented (pre-heating the air).
Although I do have a question about how the tube is fitted up through the chimney pipe.
I have seen the photo from the top view. I cannot figure out how the chimney and tubing is connected. It looks like it all goes out the tubing in the end.
yup, I am confused ok! :confused: Please help an old enquiring mind
Ted T

Ted, If you take a look at the photo of the Back of the forge (The one with the forge laing down with the welder in the background) you will see that the air tube that feeds the chimney is inlaid into the back wall of the forge (so that it is exposed to the heat of the fire) and then comes through the "smoke shelf" just below where the chimney narows. by doing it this way I was able to introduce the air blast directly into the bottom center of the narrow portion of the chimney, which really helps to induce a strong draft. The air blast up the chimney just helps to keep the amount of escaping smoke down, seems to help reduce or dilute the amount of smoke from the chimney, and eases the load on the blower (because it is not running capped up, and is constantly able to move air). I hope this answered your question, If I didn't then let me know and i'll try again.

Jose
It all clicked in and makes perfect sense now. ;)

Thank you for the response, I feel a little more knowledgeable!
I always enjoy the posts that you present. They all seem to be interesting and expand our knowledge base.
Thank You again!
Ted Throckmorton

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

We've beat this horse before. All of the intricate accessory blowers are unneeded. Just watch some of the forging videos on YouTube and you will see smoke just SUCKED up well planned chimneys. Again-try this site:
http://www.beautifuliron.com/chimneys.htm . Even a good hood works Fine. I have an old piece of barrel that I put over my fire until the chimney warms up and draws well...then I'm off and running.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Mr. Gomez et-all:

When you have a moment I have several questions about your now several year old forge. How is it working and with you experience would you (or did you) change anything. What is the diameter and number of blades and what motor and controller are you using. Et-all -has anyone build a similar system and what are your recommendations. -Thanks grant