I Forge Iron

800lb. Black Prince

I haven't posted much here in awhile.. the last was my newly acquired boat in it followed me home..  well this Anvil just happened to cross my path this morning.. the owner said its a 800lb. Black Prince.. I don't know if that is the Anvils weight or the anvil and stands weight.. I will be able to find out more today... looks to have a few torch cuts or from something else and unfortunately has been welded on the stand.. but he is willing to deal on the price from what it is marked now...seems like a very good deal if indeed its 800 lbs. and has good rebound...  not sure on how good the rebound is right now but will find out more today.. he also has a few others he's selling..

5BF16759-DA57-4104-A248-325D87194273[1].jpeg

Surprisingly svelte heel for such a large anvil.

And I don’t know about 800lbs but it is pretty big, comparing it to the Trenton ferrier’s anvil sitting below it, If guessing it would be 75-100lbs.

Keep us posted, haggle like a maniac, and use those torch cuts against them in the negotiations (although looks like an antique store, they will tell you those were a rare special feature from the factory).

yes he has a 100lb. Trenton and a 200lb. Trenton I'm not sure which one that is sitting in front of it..  the owner is going over to look at it again and look for a weight and serial number on the foot and get overall measurements and rebound test .. he says he is only going by the farmers word that it was 800 lbs. but its VERY big.. ??

Also being welded to the stand is bargaining point as well. The stand weight does not count when purchasing an anvil since that stand may not be the right height for You using the anvil. And so you will probably have to work to cut it off. 

I wouldn't trust someone else's idea on rebound unless it was someone I trusted knew what good rebound was. Deffinately check it when you see it in person, and check it all over the face. 

I've run into "very large anvils" that weighed 50 pounds---well it was large compared to a little 9 pound bench anvil!  Got to where I only trust a calibrated scale weight or clear pictures of the weight stamping---and have run into a lot of folks that don't understand the CWT system and so rather than investigate it or weigh it; they just make something up!

Never quite understood folks that can't seem to understand that they should be truthful when selling something...I guess truth in advertising was just a fad...

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you are all correct about the weight.. he sent photos of the front feet ( I can't seen to find the photos other wise I would post them..)  but it was hard to really tell, but to me it looked like it was 300lbs.  maybe someone mistook the 3 for a 8...  it was 14 1/2" tall 34" long and I think it was about 4 3/4" wide...  pretty small for 800 lbs. !!