I Forge Iron

Anvil Identification and repair suggestions

This anvil came from western Pa where it was used in the mines. Then it used by a blacksmith that made and repaired fences and gates for the local cemetery's.

It was then placed between a garage door and outside stairs to a house and a dog tied to it. I can only guess that the dog was in charge of protecting the garage, the house, AND the anvil.

Who is the manufacture?
Can you provide any history of the manufacture?

Should the face of the anvil be repaired?
Should the missing edge of the anvil be repaired?
Should the mushed edges be repaired?

As far as the anvil is concerned, I'd probably sand/smooth the face. From the pics, it looks as though that wouldn't be too hard to do.
Might take a lot of welding/ grinding to repair the edges.

You could always dedicate this anvil to hardy tools and set it beside your 'main' anvil.

It's A Wilkinson, Queens Dudly England The crossed ovals are the trade,mark , most were six piece wrought iron bodies, and a two or three piece steel face plate. I have one that's a fantastic tool! Like all Mousehole types the horn and heel can be weak spots

Like any tool, the anvil will be put to use before it is cleaned up or altered in any way. I am sure the anvil has had a rough life but it still has a LOT of life left in it. There is still a lot of usable hammering space available on the anvil and those *beauty marks* may come in handy for something.

Thank you for the replies, keep them coming.

Frosty, that stack in the background of the photo is just pallets.