I Forge Iron

What Is Garage Door Spring Good For?

bajajoaquin

• 3 months later...

I made up a bunch of these scribes as giveaway items over the past couple years:

IMG_0794.jpeg.599c9213fbd54cd535811f088f65e028.jpeg

The wire diameter of the spring was maybe 5/16” with the tip water quenched for max hardness. Just a couple coils straightened out went a long way… I’ve also welded bits into the cutting edge of chisels that were made out of larger diameter garage doors springs.

Garage doors springs also make really strong S hooks. Basically, use it in place of mild steel whenever you want more strength, but a delicate look. Just remember to normalize (and not to quench the pig tale scrolls on the ends of a hook before bending like you would with mild steel).

Keep it fun,

David

Supposedly? :rolleyes:

It's good for anything you'd use a medium carbon steel that diameter for. 

One tip for use. Don't try to unwind a whole spring! We tried at a club meeting, heated it in the forge, clipped the free end to a pickup truck with the coil over a round bar with a piece of pipe over it for a roller. The driveway wasn't long enough by half at a 300' pull. Then what do you do with a piece of 5/16" x 300' round stock? I suppose if I had a fence handy I could rig a rack.

Good stuff, I cut a coil when I need some. I have the other spring from the old overhead door in a corner in case I need another 600' or so.

Frosty The Lucky.