I Forge Iron

bargain?

ive seen anvils with the entire hard face missing being sold as "pristine"  "perfectly flat" "great using condition" up here for 500 to 1000. people that arnt in the know have no clue and the people that are selling it probably bought it at a penny a lb because of it

I love it when the posting says "Rare blacksmith anvil a few hundred years old.........." and you see a beat-up version of one of the cheaper brands of anvils.  Then you see the listing price of $400 with a comment stating "I've seen ones like this selling for $600" as if that makes you feel better.  :lol:  I'm just glad I found this forum before looking for an anvil to purchase.  It helped me avoid overpaying and buying a piece of junk.  

Funny I have an excellent Powell anvil that looks like that; flat hard face, missing heel, about 125 pounds (truncated).  I paid US$40 for it from a farrier. (someone who knew and used anvils.) Great anvil for heavy hammering  especially for students as the worse case accident had already occurred.