I Forge Iron

forge design

newbielike

I'm working on my forge table design and being my first one I could sure use some tips or suggestions.

image.png

It's not to scale as I was doing this on mobile and it was tough to get that far with a new app that I haven't used.

My idea was to leave enough room around 3 sides to pile up fuel and have room for tools and longer work pieces. I'm just not sure if it's a good design or if numbers need tweaked. It's taken me 5 months to acquire the metal and tools and the forge. I just don't want to short myself in the design.

Yea I want planning on having a fence/lip around it. I was thinking it may be big enough that falling coal or embers wouldn't be too much of an issue. I'll be working on a dirt floor. I just like the idea of the freedom of movement on all but the backside.

Yes the scale is way off and the more I look at it the more I see but it takes so much to edit it on mobile. God I need a PC so bad.

Thats fine too. You are using coal or coke right? 

A few inches higher or lower with the forge compared to the anvil isn't a big deal. Tho, you Do want the anvil at the correct height for You. 

All you really need with a table is to hold your fire pot and extra fuel ( and helpful to set some work pieces and tools on. If using coal it helps to rake it in and around the fire so it can get coked then as needed rake it into the fire and more around it to continue. Unless you are doing precise work on something specific to size, then general specs are fine. 

Also keep in mind if you will be using a hood or side sucker and how you want to mount it or if it will just be above it. As some say, " There is only one right way to do things, that is any way that Works!"

the top of my forges are about 30" unless requested otherwise, this is due to it being the average height I found and the legs pack into the case for shipping, forge is about 24" square and 6" deep.

one is now on its way to new zealand and that is almost exactly the opposite side of the globe, an other is going to wales on monday so they need to pack up easily

On 8/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, newbielike said:

tips or suggestions

What jlpservicesinc said, and welcome to IFI a lot of very good info here.

Have you read the Read this first thread? Having your location in your profile will help with questions that depend upon location to answer with any accuracy.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Taking into account the suggestions here I made some changes. They green light is where I plan on adding a lip around the back and sides. I moved the firepot forward by 2" but it still don't seem like a lot of space. Should I expand the table to 36" or am I overthinking this?

Screenshot_20180820-212532.png

Now I see where you plan to have the back of the forge. I would move the fire pot closer to the back, slightly reduce the size of it too and center it side to side. You want more table area in the front & sides than the back. This is one of the best fire pot designs that I have used.

http://www.bamsite.org/firepot.html

Yea I was thinking about not having a lip around the table but after suggestions I changed that a bit which is why I wanted more space around it. I already have the firepot so that is what it is. So being I plan on adding a lip to it, how far should I move the firepot back and keep a good working area behind it for coal? I have a couple hundred pounds of Coke and some coal that will need to be turned to coke and may have to purchase only coal in the future

As far as side to side area I was planning on leaving more room to one side for tools, work pieces, whatever. I've seen a few forges like this and i like it, it's just what I want.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:02 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Now I see where you plan to have the back of the forge. I would move the fire pot closer to the back, slightly reduce the size of it too and center it side to side. You want more table area in the front & sides than the back. This is one of the best fire pot designs that I have used.

http://www.bamsite.org/firepot.html

So would I be good with moving the firepot to 6" away from the back? That would give me 12" in the front.

7 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

No need to quote what we just read.

Ok that would definitely help. And do you mean 12"is the minimum you would work with our are you talking about your setup?

Irondragon I'm not sure on my hood setup, my work area atm is outside until I get my shop setup so the hoods gonna be an afterthought. I checked that super sucker thread, may have to do some more research butt I couldn't find any needed dimensions as far as clearance or space needed.

When you get to the hood and flue pipe design stage, keep your flue pipe no less than the 10" to 12" range....12" is better.  Bigger than that is not necessarily better, but that depends on what you have on hand to make the stack out of.  Check out the numerous threads here on the forum regarding your flue pipe.  Remember, when searching the IFI forum, the search engine here is not the best, so put the words "iforgeiron" in your search string; works wonders.

Nice size table for your forge...wish I had made mine that large.

Ok, so I was able to take pics without forgetting. 

I have used all sorts of forges, different sizes, different shapes, different blower, hand, electric, charcoal, coke, coal..   This style is for me the most useful.. 

With that said.. I like a larger forge bed/body and this was the size I came up with for use in the demo trailer as the smallest size that I could use without getting frustrated each time I use it..  

the length includes the hood.. Take off 13" for the stack base if you will be using a free standing unit..  This stack sits on the forge deck.. 

20180824_163433.jpg

20180824_163457.jpg

• 2 weeks later...