I Forge Iron

forge design

newbielike

Newbielike if I read things correctly it's taken you some time to gather materials to make this forge and it's going to be one of if not your first forge? If this is the case may I suggest making it from wood or something cheap first according to your design. The jbod seems to be a great and inexpensive method, then you could move the pot and fences around as well as play with sizes of pot and work area over the course of a couple weeks. Then you could essentially test your plan and tweak it accordingly before you commit the material you saved so long for to something you may or may not be totally happy with. Just a suggestion as I am myself working on forge number 6 as of tonight.

Good luck.

Noob, yea I thought about doing that. The design has pretty much been tried and tested. My main thing was I didn't want it so small that it was a hassle and if I ever get a bigger work area that it was appropriately sized but not too big for the area I'm working in now. I got the pieces cut working on the cutout for the firepot now. I was hoping to have it together by now but I haven't had many free evenings.

JBOD can be a great learning tool...  It an also become someone's main forge and since a side blast is actually more capable than a bottom blast  from many stand points (small fire, large fire, fire on moved to other side of bed or anywhere for that matter on the forge)  it can also compound the learning curve (fire or nest size, clinker sticking,  sand or nest failure, etc, etc) vs a bottom blast where the only thing 1 has to work about is clinker, ash build up.. Which can be more easily dealt with starting out.. 

With this said if one has all the materials to make a forge with a known firepot it really is such a simple approach one could be up an running is just a few hours of electric arc welding or even with a simple stand.. I mean to say the sky is the limit with designs and what people make use of..  (but there is a reason why old smiths had the forges designed the way they were and produced by factories)

Because of the way a back blast comes in there is a reason why most have a different design of forge hood vs a bottom blast with super sucker or equivalent..  Usually with a large backwall and slightly enclosed.. 

With this said.. Again design of any forge is only limited by imagination with only the key concepts of a way to hold the fire/coals, get sufficient air to the fire in a good enough volume and pressure..  Everything else is candy or mud depending.. 

IMG_20180909_161146.thumb.jpg.4dab2d24ba2b5b94fe435bea4de62baf.jpgHere's a mock-up, finally got the hole for the firepot grinded/filed out. That was a couple evenings and finished it up today. Now on to welding sometime in the next week, hopefully. I work a full-time job landscaping and painting a new house on the side on the evenings and weekends so it's tough to find time.

IMG_20180909_161227.jpg