I Forge Iron

80lb anvil ID?

Those are terrible pictures but it looks clean from what you can see. I guess it all depends on how bad you want an anvil and if it’s in your price range. I’d drive two hours for that one without hesitation. I’d rather drive and check it out myself than miss out on a good anvil. 

With that lip around the face it very well could be a cast iron boat anchor made to look like an anvil with a steel face but it might be something as good as a Vanadium steel anvil. It looks rusty or painted,  just because you can’t see the markings doesn’t mean they aren’t there. 

I don't know how rare anvils are around you, but going by the average, I'd say you should pay no more than 300 for it max. the lip on the top makes me believe it has a steel plate, which is a good sign. The shape of that horn reminds me of a some unmarked anvils I've seen before, and they all had pretty good reviews. I'd say to drive to it with a ball bearing and see what the rebound is. If it's above 60%, try to haggle to around $275. If it's above 40%, try to haggle to around $225. If it is below 40%, then don't buy, It's probably cast iron crap. 

1 hour ago, Steven511 said:

the lip on the top makes me believe it has a steel plate, which is a good sign. 

It could just as easily be cast iron all the way through, with that lip simply mimicking a steel plate. Without examining it in person, there’s simply no way to know. 

7 minutes ago, JHCC said:

It could just as easily be cast iron all the way through, with that lip simply mimicking a steel plate. Without examining it in person, there’s simply no way to know. 

True, but as far as I've seen it isn't super common for anvils to have mimic top plates. I didn't mean to say the lip definitively showed that it had a steel plate, just that it made it more likely.  I agree though, it is only possible to know if you see it in person and test the thing.

Like John the presence of a fat "Fake plate" usually correlates to cast iron ASO. I don't recall a forged anvil ever having a protruding plate on it. I only have 37 years in smithing though. (There are exceptions like the West cast steel anvils; but the betting is on cast iron---simple test that can be done over the phone---tap it with a hammer if you get a loud TING, cast steel. Soft Thwap  cast iron.)

Any chance that marking on the side with the horn to the right is the remains of an eagle and so a Fisher? If so I'd go US$2 a pound.

Otherwise pick up a chunk of STEEL, (my scrapyard US 20 cents a pound), and get to forging on an improvised anvil much like has been used for 3000 years!