I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing Movies And Music

There is a scene in The Thirteenth Warrior with Antonio Banderas where his character goes to the Blacksmith to have a sword reworked to his liking. The scene is quite short, and a little disappointing for me as I had a hand in it.
The movie itself wasn't really the epic we all hoped it would be, and some of the props were kinda cheezy - still
This film was shot in the Campbell River area of British Columbia when I was still apprenticing in Vernon. With the exception of the horses' stirrups and a couple other items, everything iron in the movie was produced by the shop I was apprenticing in while I was there. Everyone in the shop was tasked with different jobs; mine was to make all the tongs, hammers and Blacksmith tools (the period-type anvils were made by other fellows), another fellow and myself made all the hinges and hasps, nails (about fifteen hundred of them) and metal work for the sea chests, we all ganged up on the torchiers, chain, chain, and more chain, cauldrons and tripods with the cooking pots. At one point, I believe we had twelve or more people working on the project at once.
Because of that, I kinda like that movie best.

There is a shortish smithing/armourer scene in Narnia's Prince Caspian, but the guys and gals? doing the bangin are all either really short or have to wear funny hats shaped like rams heads

and RUSH does still rock! just not as loud

I think it is stereotypical of a poorly reasearched Hollywood production where you hear the "clank-clank-clank" of the blacksmith as he cold forges everything. Then he goes and pulls the great bellows to heat up his dinner cooking on his forge. I imagine he uses woodscrews to put the shoes on them horsies, too.

we have this flemish vocal folk group here in belgium who have a song caled "t'smitje" witch means "the smithy" (as in the person, and not the workshop), its about a blacksmith working his trade, daydreaming of going out and finding himself a woman.. ans o on, you can listen to it here;
YouTube - 't Smidje - Laïs

and this is a google translate of the lyrics (its nor really complete, because the song is in old flemish, and google trans only know propper dutch, but still it gives you a general idea)
translation:
Dutch
Wie wil horen een historie Al van ene jonge smid Die verbrand had zijn memorie Daaglijks bij het vuur verhit Was ik nog, nog met mijnen hamer Was ik nog met geweld op mijn aambeld 'k Geef den bras van al dat smeden Ik ga naar de Franse zwier 'k Wil mij tot den trouw begeven Nooit een schoner vrouw gezien Was ik nog, nog met mijnen hamer Was ik nog met geweld op mijn aambeld 't Is de schoonste van de vrouwen Maar nooit was er zo'n serpent Nooit kan zij haar bakkes houden Nooit is zij eens wel content Was ik nog, nog met mijnen hamer Was ik nog met geweld op mijn aambeld Nooit mag ik een pintje drinken Nooit mag ik eens vrolijk zijn Nooit kan ik iemand beschinken Met een glaasje bier of wijn Was ik nog, nog met mijnen hamer Was ik nog met geweld op mijn aambeld 'k Geef den bras van al dat trouwen Werd ik maar eens weduwnaar 'k Zou mij in een hoeksken houden En mij stellen uit gevaar Was ik nog, nog met mijnen hamer Was ik nog met geweld op mijn aambeld Was ik nog, nog met mijnen hamer Was ik nog met geweld op mijn aambeld

English
Who wants to hear a history
All of one young blacksmith
Those burned had been pleading
Daaglijks by the fire heats

Was I still, even with mines hammer
Was I still violently on my aambeld

'k Give den bras of all that forging
I ga to the French panache
'k Want me to den faith gone
Never seen a woman cleaner

"It's the cleanest of the women
But never was there such a serpent
Never could she keep her bakkes
Never once have they been content

Never could I drink a pint
Never could I have a cheerful
Never do you beschinken
With a glass of beer or wine

'k Give den bras of all that marry
Was I just widower
'k would keep me in a hoeksken
And make me from danger

Was I still violently on my aambeld;)

Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant must'a read Tolkien and there was smithin' in that yarn ;) Anyways, here are the lyrics to my favorite Zeppelin song, Battle of Evermore, and they mention swords! You decide! :)

Queen of Light took her bow
And then she turned to go,
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom
And walked the night alone.

Oh, dance in the dark of night,
Sing to the morn-ing light.
The dark Lord rides in force tonight
And time will tell us all.

Oh, throw down your plow and hoe,
Rest not to lock your homes.
Side by side we wait the might
Of the darkest of them all.

I hear the horses' thunder
Down in the valley below,
I'm waiting for the angels of Avalon,
Waiting for the eastern glow.

The apples of the valley hold
The seeds of happiness,
The ground is rich from tender care,
Repay, do not forget, no, no.
Oh, dance in the dark of night,
Sing to the morning light.

The apples turn to brown and black,
The tyrant's face is red.

Oh the war is common cry,
Pick up you swords and fly.
The sky is filled with good and bad
That mortals never know.

Oh, well, the night is long
The beads of time pass slow,
Tired eyes on the sunrise,
Waiting for the eastern glow.

The pain of war cannot exceed
The woe of aftermath,
The drums will shake the castle wall,
The ringwraiths ride in black,
Ride on.

Sing as you raise your bow,
Shoot straighter than before.
No comfort has the fire at night
That lights the face so cold.

Oh dance in the dark of night,
Sing to the mornin' light.
The magic runes are writ in gold
To bring the balance back.
Bring it back.

At last the sun is shining,
The clouds of blue roll by,
With flames from the dragon of darkness
The sunlight blinds his eyes.

Edited by Dodge

Hey Dodge,

Yeah, Led Zep took bunches of inspiration from Tolkien.

Misty Mountain Hop - References to Gollum - Queen of Light (Galadriel) etc.

Battle of Evermore is all about the lead up to the battle of Pellenor (sp?) Fields at the base of Minas Tirith (my Tolkien geek side is showing here . . .)

Great tune!

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the new Rambo movie . Who knew that John Rambo was a blacksmith? Also the early Gunsmoke series portrays Burt Reynolds as the blacksmith and several episodes show him working in his shop.

who ha bothered to see the new rambo movie? whats stalone gona do for a sequil rambo breaks out of the nurseing home???? hes gettin a little long in the tooth for the action hero dont ya think?

In the movie "Fly Away Home" Jeff Daniels plays a metal sculptor and there was a scene with him in his shop with a forge and anvil.

If I remember right, Daniels also runs a really nice helve hammer for a few strokes in that movie :)

His smithy also has a really impressive set of tools, they're even organized. I really wish they'd spent a little more time in the smithy.

Maybe they'll do a movie called, "Forge Away at Home" or something. The geese could have a cameo to keep everybody happy.

Frosty

If I remember right, Daniels also runs a really nice helve hammer for a few strokes in that movie :)

You are correct sir. I was going to mention it but I was not sure what it was called and I didn't want to look stupid on the forum so I just went with anvil and forge.

Sir!! Sir!!???? Oh yeah;term of respect for the elderly :D No Prob, S.T. If you hadn't mentioned it in the first place my feeble mind would not have remembered anyway! LOL Thanks for the jolt down memory lane ;)