I Forge Iron

Looking for an anvil mount in Portland, Oregon

Hi there,

I could use a little assistance in finding a round of hardwood to mount my anvil on.  Dimensions around 14 to 16 inches across and 22 to 24 inches tall.  Open to any suggestions.

Thank you!

Check the "free" section of craigslist.  There is always someone trying to get rid of wood. 

Call tree service guys.  They may even cut a piece to your requested size.  Most likely free, but a box of sweets or beer would probably make you some good friends and future supplier of free wood.  

I've made several stands from Waterbed rails, cut to the proper length and bolted together---standing vertically of course!  Used to be a common scrounge around college campuses in the late spring.  Currently I have 4 stands made from the oak floorboards from a scrapped horse trailer and the bolts used to hold guardrails onto wooden posts. Also utility pole fittings.

anvilstand1.jpg.0cc97ba353d95b4feebb0d9f99647fa2.jpg

Here's an anvil stand that I built and posted on IFI a while back, but I thought it might be useful to post an updated image of it in this topic with more callouts added. This particular stand will work for small- to medium-size anvils. If I ever get a large anvil, I'd make a larger version of this stand.

anvil-stand-idea.thumb.jpg.bca3b9867f01285292c05aa7ae517856.jpg

Al (Steamboat)

Picked it up out here in the desert to use for armouring so sheet metal and soft hammers.  Will dent under a hard faced hammer.  (Armouring trick: hard over soft or soft over hard.) The mystery is how it got out here!  No open water large enough for it's use for hundreds of miles...

No doubt! I worked in El Paso/Jaurez in the mod 90s. Open water is not the first thing that comes to mind. On the way down to Presidio I stopped off to see the "highest natural waterfall" in Texas, down in the Davis Mountains. Sad little trickle, looked as if someone had drug a garden hose up to the top of a desert cliff! Good find on the desert cleat. If I get a chance to bring one home for not much I'll add it to the pile.

I wondered if it had been used in the mines out here; but the very heavy rust looks like saltwater exposure to me!

I wonder it was a career navy retiree doing one of those "going to go inland until someone asks me "what's that funny looking thing you are carrying?"

The anchor chain out here is understandable: sling it between two dozers and clean scrub from pasture with it.