I Forge Iron

Prices For Forged Ironwork

I was at the Harrisburg Artsfest yesterday – usually there is some forge work for sale and there was this year. This time around I was looking at prices, and I’m sure they vary according to multiple factors such as locations. This guy had a stand, and lists his prices R.J. Askren
I was happy to see that the artist is not giving the stuff away 8)

My stuff is all given away as free gifts (I only spend an average of 6 hours a week forging), and the stuff I make I give to family.

So what do you charge, and how do you set your prices?

Goatman, thanks for the link. I've saved it for future reference. I'm still too new at this stuff to make anything that would sell. But thanks for the post. I'm interested in what others sell their wares for. For future reference.

Same for me dablacksmith, RJ's prices are comparable to my own.

I had a person in my booth last week who told me all of my work was over priced - when I pressed him for why he thought so, he said he had a set of 5 BBQ tools similar to what I sell and he only paid $30.00 for them.

He bought them from a friend who did smithing as a hobby . . .

I told him I don't match prices with retired guys who give their work away to their buddies any more than I try to meet Wal-Mart prices.

If you go to demos or markets and sell by purposely undercutting everyone else because it doesn't matter if you make a profit - take a walk down the booths and chat with some folks who are trying to make a living at it . . .

Yeah, no matter what you do you'll run into people who can "Get" it for half or less than what you charge. You greedy bugger you!

Either it's the opening bid to dicker or, and much more commonly, it's the typical, "If I had xxx tool, machine, etc. (anything but SKILL of course) I could do THAT," yahoo.

Be polite but otherwise ignore them. I'm sure Oog the caveman could've made just as pointy a stick if he had a sharp rock like Ug's.

Seriously, he could have! His grandpa, Goob, had a sharp rock and he watched!

Frosty

Hey Frosty,

Yeah, there's no shortage of em' out there . . .

The one I use most when someone tells me they can get what I sell at Home Depot or Lowe's for a quarter of my price is; " Super! - sounds like you found what you were looking for . . ."

I'm a true believer in honest competition as it makes me a better craftsman but I do have a thing about folks who show up at a show - cruise through other's booths then significantly undercut other vendors selling similar items.

No smithing related but I breed and sold beagles for a long time. Hunting and trial stock. I put a lot of time and money into my hounds and I priced accordingly. I always got calls like "Im looking for a real good dog in the $50 range"...My reply "They dont exist"...Their usual reply "Well I can buy one at the stocksale for that" My next reply " Well then the sale is open Saturdays, have fun"....I didnt get up at 4-5Am, 3-5 days a week and work dogs to give them away..
Ive sold few smithing items. Havent really tried. Folks seem to be happy with what Ive made them. Thats whats important I guess. If someone wants a wal-mart speacial. More power to em' ;)

Some people have only ever done cheap, and simply don't understand quality. Of course, that's because even the "expensive" stuff that is sold the normal retail route is pretty much poor quality.

Something I've learned in the rest of my life. Set your price according to what effort you put into it, not what you think you can get. Cheap is as cheap does.
(My wife tells a story about a guy who didn't think his wood carving was worth that much, and he didn't sell any of it. He priced it based on suggestions he got on line from professionals, sold a good deal of it for much more than he ever thought possible.)

One of the things I have encountered is the Walmart issue.

"I can get a flower hanger like that at Walmart for $8.99"
The fact is I have $10 in just the metal for my shepherds pole with no time or anything else worked into the price... This is the one that Erks me.

When someone says that their buddy makes something cheaper than I, that really isn't an issue. I simply tell them, "Oh good, I wouldn't want to take your business away from someone you call a friend, I'm glad I didnt' tempt you to be untrue" Then I simply go back to work. The fact is I am sincere in this statement and really don't wish to take away someone elses customer.

James

Most of the time, I just answer "okay"....

As far as "taking" away someone's customers, haven't to my knowledge, but if I was full-time and could make similiar items (MY designs/variations - not copied) and sell them for a price I was content with, then the choice would be up to the buyer...

That being said, seeing what's being charged and then setting a lower price is wrong in my mind.... Just see no reason to up my prices to match someone else's if they are my normal prices (though getting more buck for the bang IS very good too!)....