I Forge Iron

working on hawks

That is a question I posted recently. I have never forge welded before. Yesterday I tried using a piece of mild bar stock with some plumbing paste flux, It was all I had and it didn't work. I may have to arc them but I really want to forge weld them. Wish me luck. I will work on them today when I get home from work.

for flux get some borax .. it is in the grocery store with the clothes washing soap dont get boraxo soap get the borax laundry additive ...and be real careful on the heat if you get it too hot it burns too cold no stick .. but heat it too fast and theoutside burns and it still dosnt stick....If you were closer ide show ya how I do it but its tough to show with pictures ... Good luck!

I haven't done a lot of forge welding, but in my experience and from what other more seasoned smiths have told me, welding hi carbon steel is actually easier than mild. I don't know why. It just does;)

Dodge looking good so far make sure you clean them up real god before welding. I usually clean them up with a wire brush on the angle grinder before welding. Tom you should be able to Twenty Mule Team borax at local Wal-Mart. I also think higher carbon welds easier. But it is also easier to mess up.
A.S.T.

ya the problem with hi carbon forge welding is overheating... it tends to crumble if you get it too hot that is why it us usually sanwiched between mild steel (it was also done when hi carbon steel was REALLY expencive) the mild welds at a higher temp but is a lot more forgiveing of overheating... good luck!

then there are wacko's like me that use high carbon on the outside to cover the tool steel's like L6 on the inside.:D

Starting with mild IS a good idea, after you get that, the other stuff IS easier. and the mild is more forgiving of mistakes.

I tried doing a hawk out of solid leaf spring once, but it didn't work out all that great; it worked, but didn't look very good and weighed a ton since the steel was so thick.

Forge welding those hawks that you posted pics of is going to be a lot harder than welding a mild steel/HC steel bit style because you've got that big eye for the handle to deal with; i tried doing that a couple times, and I always burned the eye steel up. I'd suggest trying to weld a HC steel bit into a mild steel body next, I think you'll find that you can heat up and weld the end part without too much trouble. With that method you can also make the bit stick out from the bottom a little more and give it that cool tomahawk shape.

Higher carbon steels weld at a lower temperature than mild steels, but burn at a lower temperature too...

Hence welding carbon steels could be easier in the sense that it can be done at an easier to reach temperature, with less chance of heavy scaling (due to having to use a strong air blast), but is harder in the sense that they are much easier to overdo, and burn. Many other things can go wrong. Most resources I have consulted state that welding carbon steels in the forge is not practical!? I can't agree with this, since many have actually achieved it just fine...

So that is why I always find it head-scratching how people are able to do pattern welding at all, since surely the carbon steel would have burned by the time the mild steel is hot enough to weld. Then again, I guess there must just be a really narrow temperature range where welding is actually possible.

Higher carbon steels weld at a lower temperature than mild steels, but burn at a lower temperature too...

Hence welding carbon steels could be easier in the sense that it can be done at an easier to reach temperature, with less chance of heavy scaling (due to having to use a strong air blast), but is harder in the sense that they are much easier to overdo, and burn. Many other things can go wrong. Most resources I have consulted state that welding carbon steels in the forge is not practical!? I can't agree with this, since many have actually achieved it just fine...

:)

I recently did a hatchet with a piece of 5160 in the tip. Went smooth and my tags have about disappeared.

Edited by Tald the dead

• 10 months later...

tompdw i advise not using a circular handle. the spin around (bad) and if improperley fitted will movearound and come off. i see you have a bit of extra space in the handle. try shaping a limb off a tree with a knife and a chisel to fit. it works way better than a dowel. the hawks themselves are great bettter thn my attempts good job and good luck. what are you goin to use them for any way?