I Forge Iron

DFPROF2 + 1D 2 no reading on regulator

Luis Vernabe

Hi I just bought a DFPROF2 + 1D"2, I went through the set up and connected my hose and burners as instructed on the setup guide. My main issue is that when I turn the gas on from the propane the regulator does move at all, I tried twisted the valve left and right all the way and got not gas to go through it. I made sure that the hose and burners we're cleared from any debris and that were not glogges. I am attaching a couple of pics and a video if allowed to. Please any help will be greatly appreciated.

20180718_192452_HDR.jpg

20180718_192457_HDR.jpg

First check if it will release propane with nothing connected by very very VERY *SLIGHTLY* opening the Valve on the propane tank.  New tanks have an internal check valve designed to stop flow if it thinks there is nothing connected or the hose is ruptured.   Propane forges sometimes engage the check valve as they tend to have a  pretty high flow rate compared to a gas grill...

The check valve should release when the tank valve is closed, sometimes they need a gentle tap. (like picking up the tank and thunking the base on a piece of plywood on the floor.) If it continues to be an issue return the tank and complain!  Large tanks do not usually have this type of check valve as they are used for higher flow rate systems; hopefully by more skilled users.

Always open the propane tank valve very slowly to avoid this issue.

As in make sure it's all the way out (no flow) and then adjust it in (flow) after you have turned the tank valve on?  Some folks leave their propane regulators set to their usual pressure; but if you have a fussy check valve starting at zero pressure and then increasing it helps.

You might connect the tank to something else to see if you get gas flow - like a BBQ or weed burner torch. Then you'll have an idea where the problem is. Your regulator looks to be screwed in to FULL on flow. Like Thomas said, back out the adjuster screw til it's almost about to fall out.  

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

As in make sure it's all the way out (no flow) and then adjust it in (flow) after you have turned the tank valve on...

As the user of a similar DF forge, I can fully support this statement in all it's "forehead slapping" truth. 

If it's plastic and blocking the tube going into the regulator, then my guess would be, no it shouldn't be there. May be just shipping cover to keep debris out. Although, if it was, I don't know how you'd have got it all connected to the tank without it getting in the way. A pic at a slight angle to see how it's fitting into the assembly might be helpful though.

When I get down to this sort of questions I usually take everything over to a propane supply place and ask them to help me troubleshoot; of course living in a small town and having a good working relationship with the local propane place helps a lot...(they even came in on a Saturday once to refill my tanks before a class I was teaching!)

Good hardware stores may carry them too.  Some welding places will have them.

and the best way to bypass a regulator is to place your dominant hand on the anvil and hit it with a hammer until you no longer need a working forge.(sort of like asking what is the best way to bypass the brakes on your car...)