I Forge Iron

Bearded axe from claw hammer

I have an old claw hammer that I’d like to try and make into a bearded hatchet. I’m a bit confused, however, on how to control the direction the metal spreads to. I’d like for it to mostly draw out to what will be the bottom of the hatchet but how can I control that? I’m fairly new to forging so I’m sorry if this is a simple matter. 

Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

There are a number of really good threads about drawing out and controlling the movement of the metal. I would suggest taking a look at those first and figuring out how the principles apply to your situation. You can also make a model of your hammerhead in plasticine and practice moving the material with that; the clay moves very much like hot metal (just don't hit it as hard).

Jhcc thanks for the link! I’ll look through it first. I tried searching for some info but I got a little lost

thomas I’ve just acquired a cross peen and plan on slightly rounding the flat face. I’ve also gotta clean up the peen since I found it in a scrap pile at work (the handle was broken and it was easier for the company to buy a new hammer for the employee)

Steve. Thanks! I was unaware there were different sections for different projects. I’ll keep that in mind and also try to figure out how to make posts in specific groups. I aplologise for any inconvenience I may have caused. I know forums get flooded easily and appreciate and respect organization. As I stated previously I just kinda got lost. 

Welcome aboard Freddy, glad to have you. I recommend you spend some time reading the link John posted it'll help. If you'll put your general location in the header you might discover there are gang members living within visiting distance. The on site search engine is poor so use your favorite engine and include Iforgeiron in the search terms, it'll search Iforge well. The site has a learning curve and things keep changing so don't sweat the small stuff, Admin is pretty easy going, even as hard as they work to keep the site working.

Not knowing how to make the steel go where you want is exactly why I recommend a person learn basic proficiency at the anvil before tackling advanced projects like blades. Start hitting garage, yard, etc. sales on weekends and look for ball pein hammers, broken handles are perfect you can get a good discount and you want to install handles that fit your hand anyway. Pick up a "Drill Hammer. in the 32 oz. range." They have a shorter handle for better control and aren't so heavy they wear you right out or are as likely to injure you before you develop good hammering skills. A cross pein isn't particularly necessary or even desirable, any smooth faced hammer in the 32 oz. range is a good start. 

If you must make a hand axe to get started, use one of those ball pein hammers with a broken handle you picked up for $0.50 at the rummage, yard, etc. sale. A ball pein is a good preform, you won't have to deal with transforming an odd shape or need advanced techniques. You may need to make a couple special tools but that's part of our game, making the tools to make the job.

Frosty The Lucky.

thanks frosty! I’ve done a few small projects like railroad spike bottle openers but I don’t think I’ve done enough of them to fully feel like I can control the metal. Maybe I’ll try Alec steels “do 100 of these first” video if I get an adequate stock piece of metal. I’ll definitely update location too.