I Forge Iron

Tempering questions

NOT!!!

Most tempering figures are per inch of thickness. You "HAVE TO" do your own testing, to find out what doesn't work. School of "Hard Knocks" is a teacher that you won't forget. If you forget, you shouldn't be playing the game. Don't be afraid of making a junk pile. Expecting someone to answer all your questions is precocious.

Enjoy learning, your way.

Neil

According to a metallurgist I know multiple cycles are better as each cycle "jars" the crystalline structure a bit knocking a bit more into line. As phase changes are all statistical distributions it's hard to get 100% without going overboard.

The temperature of course has to be based on alloy and intended use---you temper a sword the same way as a straight razor and you may end up cutting your own throat!---even if they were forged from the same alloy.

12 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

NOT!!!

Most tempering figures are per inch of thickness. You "HAVE TO" do your own testing, to find out what doesn't work. School of "Hard Knocks" is a teacher that you won't forget. If you forget, you shouldn't be playing the game. Don't be afraid of making a junk pile. Expecting someone to answer all your questions is precocious.

Enjoy learning, your way.

Neil

I was curious to know im not asking people to answer all my questions.