I Forge Iron

It was a good week of hunting for anvils. I guess when everyone goes to the conference the midwest is easy pickings 

First one is a 161LBS farrier Hay budden one edge is beaten up a little but a great anvil. The second is a Blackjack 100LBS Hay Budden. I have never had a chance two own either of these two so while they stay temporarily with me I will enjoy them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

Hey Tim,

They sure look like nice finds. Kinda skinny in the waist for HB. Look a lot more like late Arm & Hammers.

N.N.F.            Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA 

I'm no expert on anvils but the second one looks British to me. The 1 0 0 would indicate 112 lbs. I don't think American anvils like HB stamp weights in that way, but I could be wrong.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:58 AM, Timber Ridge Forge said:

They are Hay Budden. Not trying to sound mean but I would suggest picking up a copy of anvils in America besides the fact that those are pounds not stone weight those are both well know Hay Budden designs. I buy anvils and sell anvils all the time. 

Ah, thanks. I stand corrected.

It would but it took Richard postman something like 25 years to compile the information for his book. I think it would be very difficult if not impossible. To make a book like that it in countries minus the U.K. The anvils I see from those countries seem to be 1 offs and not masses produced and many are pre industrial revolution. 

I know about Postman's research; back when it looked like he wasn't going to get it published I offered him a substantial sum of money at a Q-S for a copy of his notes...(a couple of times more than the book cost when it came out)...He didn't take me up on that offer.

I have seen a lot of German and Austrian anvils from the 19th and 20th centuries with trademarks; just recording them would be a good start.  Records tend to be better over there unless they were destroyed in the Wars.