I Forge Iron

Using k26 to build a forge

A friend has copd and doesn't want the risk of ceramic blanket even if it has been properly treated and cured.  So I have ordered a case of k26 bricks to build him a forge.  I have 2 questions in regards to this.

1.  My intention is to use a 2600f fireplace cement to hold the bricks together.  Will this work okay or should I use kastolite instead?

2.  The bricks are 2 1/2" in thickness.  Is that enough insulation or should I double stack them?

I don't know how well cement will hold up considering the rapid thermal cycling a hobby forge undergoes. One of our guys clamps them together, just all thread and angle iron. We're talking hack saw, hand drill and wrenches tool list. 

My suggestion is to extend the all thread on the lower clamps and add another piece of angle iron so we can use a split brick for a porch to shield the clamp from direct flame and make a porch front or back. 

We're brainstorming a simple easy build forge to get our newbies started. And yes, that's a kiln shelf floor and we'll kiln wash the interiors

Frosty The Lucky.

brick forge 01.jpg

I happened to have some plate lying around so I just built a little box for mine. The top is not welded on, but just has tabs to hold it in position. I am going to order some Plistex to line it with to improve efficiency and durability, but it has been going strong untreated and no mortar for 7 or 8 months now.  The hard brick in the front is just a "table" for resting long work or the piece I use for my front door on.

DSC_0587.thumb.JPG.8d4f62299cac3926ef69a88e52bc7aad.JPG

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, Frosty said:

My suggestion is to extend the all thread on the lower clamps and add another piece of angle iron so we can use a split brick for a porch to shield the clamp from direct flame and make a porch front or back.

I like that; excellent construction detail :D