I Forge Iron

New to me 190lb Hay Budden

Hey guys, 

Just the I would show off my new to me Hay Budden. From what I can tell it was made in 1906, and weighs 190lb. I will be putting it on a scale tomorrow. 

I am just starting out, and was going to use a railroad anvil, but I found this. 

I do live in Denver so they are on the pricier side. Couldn't let this go by me. 

Great rebound and ring. 

Thanks for reading! 

20180607_202552.jpg

20180607_210654.jpg

20180609_150531.jpg

20180609_150642.jpg

20180609_150547.jpg

20180609_150629.jpg

If you do a search for the 1914 Hay Budden catalog that is on this site (as well as some others - I have even seen pdf copies for sale on EBay-and I’m the one that created the single file pdf of it!). You can see a plain horn and clip horn and the difference between them.

The plain horn doesn't have that clip coming off the side of it.  Now the clip has been truncated; but the remains are there. Also the two pritchel holes are indicative of a farrier's pattern.

I've owned both types of Hay Buddens.  Still have a couple of the smithing anvils; let my swell horn Farrier's anvil go a long time ago.

I would have to agree with pyrostic that the horn is how it is supposed to be. When you look close at the advertisment the one on the left is what he has.

Here is a picture of the 2 types of farrier patterns hay budden made.

IMG_3666.JPG.fb8bb32b6d83d50d314c3fc356d1c510.JPG

On 6/10/2018 at 3:15 PM, JlBlohm said:

I would have to agree with pyrostic that the horn is how it is supposed to be. When you look close at the advertisment the one on the left is what he has.

Here is a picture of the 2 types of farrier patterns hay budden made.

IMG_3666.JPG.fb8bb32b6d83d50d314c3fc356d1c510.JPG

Thank you for the awesome picture. That settles that pretty easily. 

Nice Find! I really love my Hay Budden.

I could be totally wrong - but, above the side markings it looks like it might have had a welded repair and some grinding??? If the rebound is good - it really doesn't matter. 

It will serve you well for years to come!