I Forge Iron

Apprentice:

Go to the top of the page and click on "User CP". Enter your location in your profile.

That way folk in your neighborhood can give you a hand, tip you to club events, classes, tools, etc.

Heck, you might live on my road and we'd wouldn't even know. :o

You wouldn't want to deprive old Frosty of a potential play mate would you? :rolleyes:

Frosty

frosty i did what you told me to do i put in the town i live in

and if you do live near me that would be cool:D

Welcome apprentice and good luck in your blacksmithing quest. I think that the walk to Frosty's place might be a bit further than you would hope!
I'm pretty sure there are many other members that are close to you in Pa. though.

Thanks Apprentice.

Still don't know if we're neighbors though. I don't know of a Pipersville in Alaska but certainly could be wrong. So, tell us, Pipersville . . . Where? :o

If you do live anywhere close let me know we'll get together. If not, I'm sure you live near someone who wouldn't mind lending a hand.

Frosty

Apprentice,
Welcome to the forum. You may want to add the state you live in to your location. In subsequent threads it will save time when asking for local help. Not sure how many Pipersvills there are in the U.S. I was surprised to find there is more than one Omaha albeit not in the U.S LOL

But cheer up young apprentice, although uncle frosty is no where near you do live in the machine shop capital of the world so finding all kinds of exotic metal should be no problem and with yer proximity to philly you should be easily able to hook up with some smiths

frosty i looked at yours we are no where close at all
it would take to long to walk there

It WAS unlikely. Seems nobody lives near me. Maybe bathing isn't such a bad thing? :o

Heck, maybe your folks are planning a vacation in AK and just haven't told you yet. Of course instead of walking you could ask for a pony. I don't recommend hitch hiking.

Seriously, it's really unlikely you'll find an apprentice program this side of the Atlantic. What you are likely to find is a club, the members that is, reasonably close to you that enjoys teaching the craft as much as I do.

Don't worry, we'll get you hooked up unless you have your heart set on apprenticing. If so, there probably isn't much we can do.

Welcome aboard.

Frosty

Apprentice

You have one of the best apprenticeship programs right here on IForgeIron. Go to IForgeIron > Lessons in Metalworking > Blacksmithing and start at LB0001. Then go to IForgeIron > Blueprints and make each of the 600+ projects listed. IF you have questions, aask them in the forum. What better could you ask for than advice from 3,700+ of your peers that WANT you to succeed.

ya that is true learn from every one here

but first i need to get a anvil and a forge

Not that it hasnt been said before, but an anvil can be anything, it doesnt have to like a mousehole or london pattern, a big flat chunk o metal from the scrap yard has been many smiths first anvil, also many large bench vices have a large anvil like area on them and can be found at flea markets and such quite cheap, and a forge can be built for a few $$$ check this out to see how I build mine with hand tools and a hair dryer, and I still use it 3-4 days a week for the last several months. RED CREEK FORGE also check out the getting started pages on this site as well as glenn's 55 forge blueprint, cheap, simple and effective every thing a tool needs to be. Dont be afraid to think outside the box and for goodness sake boy DONT MAKE EXCUSES, use your brain and start bending some metal, trial and error is part of the learning curve just exercise a safety minded approach and keep a journal of what worked and what didnt.

but first i need to get a anvil and a forge

Go to IForgeIron > Lessons in Metalworking > Blacksmithing and start at LB0001

Lessons in Blacksmithing:
LB0003 Blacksmithing Forges
LB0005 Blacksmithing Anvils

I can only guess that you have not gotten to lesson 3 in your reading. The 3rd paragraph is titled *Now to build a forge*. The 4th and 5th paragraph show you HOW to build a forge !!

Just this evening, I spent 2+ hours at the forge trying to make a project I saw demonstrated. As yet, I can show you nothing for my efforts. As I type this to you, I have a small anvil (20 pounds), modeling clay and a 3 pound hammer on my desk next to the keyboard. The forging practice continues, even into the night. Most likely I will dream about forging.

I will solve my problem, by practice, using different medias, using different techniques, using my spare time, and devoting them all to finding a solution. But that is my method of learning, my dedication, my way of doing things.

Blacksmithing is NOT a spectator sport. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it.