I Forge Iron

what about drawing the head into a socket to fit the shaft (Like a spade blade to handle) and rivet it in position

or

make it into a tang, and ferrule and pin into shaft (Like the old coffin srewdrivers but with a pin through to secure it if you are going to have it as a functional spear.

or

save a few and make poachers gaffs

Forge the first 2/3 (pointed end) out into the spear head. Use the last 1/3 of the spike, minus the head, to forge a socket. Just forge out a triangular shape, then wrap around a mandrel to form a cone shape. Weld the seam shut on the mandrel. Attach to shaft using rivets through.

I will most likely forge about 2/3 of it out, and then form a socket to fit onto the end of the shaft, use wood glue and two rivets or screws to hold it in place. This is more for figuring things out. I will probably try to make a historically accurate one sometime.

How did you attach it? The spear head i mean.

Well I cheated! LOL The guy I made it for wanted it cheap and I told him that what he wanted wouldn`t be cheap hammered out so I First cut out the Main shap with plsama cutter ,suing 1/4 inch plate, Then shaped it in my forge and then took a ball pen and made it look like flint. Then fabbed up a picec of Gas pipe and made a slit and Tig welded the pipe and Head . Then I Grinded ALL the welds (the guy wanted it that way (they was SWEET looking tig beads) then drilled a couple holes in the pipe so he could put the handle in it . then I sharped it .
I asked him today bout bringin me pictures of it he said he would.

Thanks,Chris

ive made a few spears ... I usually use spring steel (leaf springs) and forge a socket.. My latest was a billhook ... I dont harden um but they are still pretty tough I prefer sumthin that will hold up to abuse ...dont know what ime gona do with my load of rr spikes ... had a guy that wanted a knife made from one so I told him ide forge one out if he brought a bunch of spikes in trade so now ive got a bunch of um ....o well ile figure sumthin to do with um...

I will most likely forge about 2/3 of it out, and then form a socket to fit onto the end of the shaft, use wood glue and two rivets or screws to hold it in place. This is more for figuring things out. I will probably try to make a historically accurate one sometime.

Don't bother with the wood glue, it doesn't stick to metal. I made one spear head and it pressure fit the shaft so well I didn't use any other method to hold it in place. It would take a beig hammer or a fire to remove the head.
Hang on a sec and I'll look and see if I have pics.

Found it. Now let's see if I can get it attached.

ron

6022.attach

• 3 weeks later...

scoobasteeve
go to the top of the forum page and click on user cp
click on edit profile
go to the bottom of the page, enter your location, and save.

We would like to know where in the world you are located.