I Forge Iron

Biohazard Outbreak Response Blade, Short

Stormcrow

I've made a number of bush swords down through the years inspired by a certain blade in a zombie-killing video game.  They typically are around 15" blades.  Here's the first of this basic style to be made, back in 2015:

27168359218_24dc934017_c.jpgbiohazard (3) by James Helm, on Flickr

I recently made a shorter blade that is essentially the Biohazard Outbreak Response Blade scaled down to a 9 3/4" blade.  I really dig it!

This was the fastest knife to sell that I've done.  I had forged and trimmed to the rough shape, posted a picture on Instagram, and it was laid claim to within three minutes!  :D

Here's the initial picture:

39229785780_4c6d81d5a1_c.jpgzkiller06 by James Helm, on Flickr

It was finished out with a thick false edge, aggressifying the aesthetics but not coming close to a cutting edge.  The customer wanted a hemp cord wrap, and I topped it off with a three-strand Turk's head knot in paracord.

41038254361_4a0b991022_c.jpgzkiller01 by James Helm, on Flickr

The sheath has my first-ever molded drainage hole at the tip, again per the customer's request.

40145275305_3f14c1838d_c.jpgzkiller02 by James Helm, on Flickr

Feels great in the hand!

40996463322_6649beaaba_c.jpgzkiller03 by James Helm, on Flickr

In comparison with a tanto with an 8 7/8" blade.  Similar lengths, totally different knives!

39231016770_4cbbfe6763_c.jpgzkiller05 by James Helm, on Flickr

The customer's response upon getting it was, "What is this xxxx monstrosity!"  In a good way.    :D

Frosty - That's one of a number of reasons I'm in the long, slow process of setting up to do mid-tech knives in addition to forged ones.  This is a design that I want to do as a mid-tech, maybe as a limited run, maybe as a more permanent model.