I Forge Iron

Trail cam critters

Daswulf

Marc, ducks are messy. Chickens are pretty bad as well when they escape the pen and get into the porch. 

Aus, that's a cute critter. Your possums down there are a good bit different from ours. Do they play dead? Ours do it quite well when there is a threat like a dog. I've seen it several times. 

I'll be getting a metal food bowl to deter the dog from at least running off with it. 

I had a big roaster tin full of warmed up fryer oil and bacon grease. With a few slices of pizza thrown in for good measure but the dog didn't show last night. The raccoon passed on it from what I could see and a few of the cats has a little taste. I'll try again tonight. 

Those are crafty buggers  Irondragon  

I don't think our possums 'play possum' in the same way yours do, Das. I've never seen it anyway.

And as for dogs not liking metal in their mouths, my collie certainly doesn't. Ever since she bit the chainsaw and lost a couple of teeth and got a slashed mouth, she won't go near it. Hard way to learn.

Funny thing is, you can buy all the fancy, squeaky toys for dogs but the best toy we have found is a plastic plant pot. She has crunched up dozens of them.

Daughter raised several possums from birth. Mom decided to look at a car tire from the bottom on a highway. They are ok pets. They get grouchy real fast when hungry. When fed they quickly go back to nice. They nip when hungry. They also have a little stronger musk smell than the average pet.

Aus that chainsaw bit had to be terrifying for both of you. I've had dogs that would want to go after the mower but luckily never had an issue. 

I have seen many a dog that liked an empty plastic water bottle as their favorite toy. 

Mcostello, I'd like to have one as a pet. Think I'll save that for when I'm a "crazy old man". :)  Right now I'm just a crazy man. Got a few years to go. 

Well the dog went bobbing for pizza last night. Being a black dog he didn't show up real well in the photos. I'll have to post a few when I get home. He visited the grease twice last night but didn't stay long each time.  He did at least get a slice of pizza. The opossums had a little taste as well. 

Heres all I could get with a picture of my computer screen. 

image.jpg

Aus, the chainsaw story makes me cringe! I hope your furry pal is ok now.

Das, you could try  blowing up a balloon, very full, and place it in a bucket with a little kibble on top of it. if he pops the balloon as he eats, it may frighten him enough to keep him away... It won't hurt him either. I don't know?? might be worth a try ;)

The balloon is a neat idea, wonder how it'd work, inflate it with pepper spray maybe? 

An old bear in the trash trick is to wrap a can of orange cap Cutter's mosquito repellent spray in yummy smelly garbage like a fish. One bite and they get a mouth full of bug spray, very unpleasant and not necessarily very dangerous to an animal of their body mass. Best of all they associate a really BAD experience with eating garbage rather than humans so they don't look for vengeance. 

Attached is a pic of the SS dog dish dogs can't pick up and carry around. Falki is famous for hiding all the dog dishes he can though he has favorite places so it's not too bad. I couldn't think of a way to describe the shape and it wasn't till this morning I thought of just taking a pic of the one in the mud room.

5ab12d35a5470_dogdish01.thumb.jpg.4dc155361a2d6a08976da98abc19692e.jpg

Frosty The Lucky.