I Forge Iron

Unidentified swage blocks

GMoore

I bought these swage blocks about 4 years ago (at an antique/junk shop in the South Dakota Black Hills.  They seem to be in excellent shape, made of good steel, and, certainly, serve my purposes).  And, I paid, only $175 for the pair.  I am no expert in the matter, but I think I got a great deal.  Opinions?

DSC09844.JPG

The smaller one looks like the Saltfork Craftsmen block, which sells for $200 plus shipping. The larger seems to be be pretty good condition, hard to tell from the 1 picture, but I'd say you did pretty good on that one.

It is a good deal if you use them. A friend was offered one for free, but he turned it down because he didn't need it. Many smiths get those, and cones, then they collect dust. If you have a use for one, great, they can be very helpful.  I have one my Dad made out of steel plate at the college years ago.

• 2 months later...

You got a good deal.  The small one looks like the one New England Blacksmiths have made and they sell to members at $180. + freight  more to non members.    Front one looks like what I consider a swage block.  Got Holes.

This site may be usefull for swage block identification 'swageblocks.com' It's a bit of an encylopedia on the subject.

(If you can't find a reasonable match it may be worth sending the site owner a photo of any unidentified block, they may well know what it is but not have a photo to post on site)

Smmmmoking good deal!!!!

Biggun has a good point.  I'd love to have one because I want to forge my own hardy tools.  They are so handy when you need to pound something in a slot or hole with a sledge.  You risk cracking your anvil if you try it in your hardy hole.  I'd love to own either of those swage blocks.  Good job scooping them up.