I Forge Iron

Hello from southern Vermont

Welcome aboard Mark, glad to have you. I highly recommend you hook up with the local blacksmithing organization, you'll learn more in an hour with an experienced smith than days trying to figure it out yourself. Even if it's a couple hour drive to get to a meeting it's well worth the effort. 

They can show you how to do things answer questions, tell you what you're doing wrong and show you, hook you up with tools, materials, equipment, etc. and once you're in the network you'll find out about small hammer ins, BBQs, get help requests, etc. We don't have to be having a club meeting or event to want to get together and there's a lot more one on one time if there are only 3-4 guys getting together.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello Mark, welcome to IFI and the blacksmith bug!  How Far Southern VT?  As you can see I'm north of you most likely but at the moment warming myself in SW Florida.

Thomas Powers is correct look up New England Blacksmiths here and on the net.  Spring meet is lasted as well as a fall meet in Colraine ? Mass.  There will most likely be a Hammer In at Lake Champlain Maritime Mus around Memorial Day. 

We all started somewhere usually from scratch. 

Dale   

1 hour ago, notownkid said:

Hello Mark, welcome to IFI and the blacksmith bug!  How Far Southern VT?  As you can see I'm north of you most likely but at the moment warming myself in SW Florida.

Thomas Powers is correct look up New England Blacksmiths here and on the net.  Spring meet is lasted as well as a fall meet in Colraine ? Mass.  There will most likely be a Hammer In at Lake Champlain Maritime Mus around Memorial Day. 

We all started somewhere usually from scratch. 

Dale   

I'm in the Springfield area. I have looked into them and am interested. Right now I'm trying to scavange for time to do anything as my actually job takes most of it.

Having spent nearly a decade working 50 to 60 hour weeks, getting a second BS degree, having a young family and a 100 year old house---all at the same time; I know where you are at.  Going to meetings close by may help and making time for a conference or two can fan the flames so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, Marker Dylan said:

I'm in the Springfield area. I have looked into them and am interested. Right now I'm trying to scavange for time to do anything as my actually job takes most of it.

I'm about 25 miles north of you when home I got sick of the bitter cold and loaded up and in Estero FL for another month.  Jobs have a tendency  of taking too much time away from life.  More than willing to chat when we get back but shop in state of confusion since moving farms and retiring.