I Forge Iron

carbon monoxide

steve keaton

Welcome to the forum. Add your location to your profile as there may resources near you.

Get a CO detector, and use it. A lot depends on your location, wind currents and eddies, and the design and structure of the building or your set up. 

Taking a forge outside is a minor inconvenience compared to CO poisoning, hospital visits, and listening to friends and family tell you that you should have taken the forge outside.

The site pushes safety. If there is a question, always choose and take the safe route. 

Welcome.

I"m no expert on the subject, so consider what I write accordingly.

Charcoal was used extensively to heat homes in the arab vilages around here (Israel). There WERE CO disasters, but they numbered roughly "only" one a year.  So I assume it takes special conditions to get CO poisioning (restricted burning and restricted ventilation for long enough time).

Also - charcoal is used all over the world for cooking and heating. Many times indoors. I never heard of a "common knowledge" that it must be used outdoors, or "beware of breathing it's fumes" (mind you, co can exist outdoors too)

I think that free air supply to the forge and reasonable ventilation, will keep you safe.+

Mod note:  If you are not experienced or sure of this why are you posting.here,  that is dangerous

Hi, Steve. Welcome to IFI!  If you haven’t already, READ THIS FIRST!!!

It will help us answer your question if you could give us more specifics about your individual situation: size of shop, existing ventilation, size and location of forge hood, etc. The best we can do with what you’ve given us so far is to agree that carbon monoxide is bad and you should try to be safe.

Oops...sorry for my lack of info. The building I use for a shop is just 15'x15'. It has one door and no windows. My forge is 2'x3' and the firepot is 10"x12" and the front of the forge is by the door. I built a  "super sucker" hood I found on anvilfire.com. It draws good except when I first light it. I'm considering putting an exhaust fan in the flue. Thanks for your responses and if l left anything out let me know. Thanks again.....

Steve, start your fire first with something relatively "smoke free" like newspaper or wood kindling to start a good upward draw on your flue, and only then start your coal or coke fire. That will help significantly. Fans in flue pipes are not a good idea. Search the site for threads on why not; it has been discussed extensively. Super suckers are very good. Have fun!

Of course LYUV, those houses/kitchens were probably not air tight and had faster rates of exchange than a modern house in the USA; so if you house is built like a vernacular house in those countries you may be ok.

Having s good chimney can really help extract the fumes and speed up air exchange. A CO detector mounted where you will be working is a good idea