I Forge Iron

Hello all new here....

AndrewB

The nice thing about a propane forge is that you can build it in a junked propane grill body (takes a different regulator and burners unfortunately), and if they complain ask that all propane grills be banned as well...

Bituminous coal has very obnoxious smoke and will not be allowed I'd bet.  Anthracite is much harder to work with but a cleaner burn.  Real chunk charcoal---NOT BRIQUETTES---has been used for forging for over 2000 years now and you could build a JABOD in a propane grill body that uses charcoal but still "fits in"  You can even cook over a charcoal forge...

Hi Andrew, as Glenn said the Northwest Blacksmiths Association is a great resource. Our website is blacksmith.org and we meet monthly in Longview. Your location only gives Washington state, so I can't tell how close you are to me but we have members all over from Oregon Washington Idaho and even BC Canada . I think you'll do better with a charcoal forge in your location since coal smoke can be obnoxious in close quarters. I just built my 3 rd forge as a JABOD, which you can see in the solid fuel section under "Just a tub of dirt". Same concept and portable. Your BBQ would likely work for this style. I have to go to work now, but you can PM me if you want more local info.