I Forge Iron

Should I make a power hammer, buy a hammer, or make a press, or buy a press ?

what do you make? if you make s hooks and key chains a press or PH will do you no good. I would recommend also learning how to weld before making a PH if you do. If your welds fail, well, that could be really reallly bad....If you have the money buy one, lots better options to buy compared to what you could make. Give us more information so we can give you more informed answers. Should I buy a house or build a house? I have no building experience. That is basically what you just said.

Littleblacksmith 

"Wanting to get into it" is pretty vague. As are other factors that you have not provided. 

It would help others to help you if you could be a great deal more specific on what you plan to do and what you care to spend. 

all we know is you are interested in A power hammer and or A press. And that you have no welding experience. Not much to go off of to offer advise. 

If you've watched a few videos and think that running a power hammer looks fun, and should therefore get into blacksmithing, you may want to re-evaluate. Drawing out a big piece of steel on a power hammer is one very specific aspect of blacksmithing. But to get to  the point where you can use that skill you need a firm foundation, which is comprised of smaller hand forged projects to understand  the basics. As LBS said, a PH wont help with s-hooks and other small projects which will be about all you do for the first year or two. If you'd like to try just going ahead and running a power hammer to make billets be prepared to ruin every other one of them and have steel cracks open on you. Understanding how metal moves at different temperature ranges is pre-requisite knowledge before moving up to a big rig. 

Overall my suggestion is to spend 15-20$ to buy Art of Blacksmithing, read it, and decide if its a hobby you'd like to pick up. 

If you have no wading experience fabricating either one may end up in your demise. You would be safer and cheaper buying a small powerhammer or log splitter and get a weld shop to modify the splitter into a hydraulic press for you.

Xxxx spell check!!!!! Not wading, welding! I have no wading experience myself and would never attempt a project that would require wading skills....

welding i have no reservations about.

Edited by Mod34
Edited for inappropriate language

This is a suspicious post. The OP has 1 post and its a vague openended question.   Anyway, Simple smithing, go and add your general location in the world to your profile page. There may be someone close that can help.  Then look up the "introduce yourself" thread and read the "read this first" .  Because right now you are not providing enough info for anyone to help you.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Olson said:

This is a suspicious post. The OP has 1 post and its a vague openended question.

Quite true, but at least there's some good information for a subsequent (and possibly more genuine) newbie to find and read.