I Forge Iron

Kolene

I got a question. does anyone know what a kolene heat treat does? From what i understand it is heat treating in molten salt. Why i ask is that today i got a set of steels for a TH 400 that were kolene treated and my customer asked if it were worth the extra money he spent on them. I do not know how they will preform but it seems to me that they may be too hard. Looking on my motor headin forums gets me mixed reviews on how they preform but nothing as to specs on differences. If they are too hard i am afraid that the clutches will not grab them and will slip, burning up my unit. If they are not hard enough they will just wear out. Standard steels are high carbon hardened steel. From what i understand they are a 4150 steel. (i may be mistaken) The difference is just the heat treating. 

I would like to point out that heat treating using salt pots is pretty common in the sword world and does not indicate a thing about hardness---you could heat treat a steel too hard or too soft or just right using salt pots.  If the details are not provided then they are just trying to wow you with buzz words.

If your customer brought you the non standard parts I would not guarantee anything, of course if this is a racing unit it should be considered expendable anyway. If you are offering any sort of warranty the parts should be provided by you. What is in front of the TH 400?

22 hours ago, bigb said:

If your customer brought you the non standard parts I would not guarantee anything, of course if this is a racing unit it should be considered expendable anyway. If you are offering any sort of warranty the parts should be provided by you. What is in front of the TH 400?

(Thought i just had to high light the part i wanted to quote)

383, not a huge beast but a nice pass. It is however just a friday night hot rod. So a limited guarantee.