I Forge Iron

Arm & Hammer Anvil

Hi Everyone!

Yesterday I picked up this 140# Arm & Hammer anvil and I was wondering if someone can help me determine the age.  The serial number appears to be 15200.

Searching online I haven't found an example of an Arm and Hammer anvil with the same logo as mine.

After looking for a while I was stoked to locate this anvil because there aren't a lot for sale in my area (Northern CA).  I was also really happy to stumble across this awesome forum.  What a great resource you have all built here.

Thank you!

Mickey

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

Welcome to IFI...

Very nice looking anvil. I'm sure someone with a copy of AIA will be able to narrow down when it was made.

BTW: if you edit your profile to show your location, you may be surprised how many members are near you and once we leave this thread, we won't remember you are in Northern/CA and a lot of answers are location dependent.

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome to IFI...

Very nice looking anvil. I'm sure someone with a copy of AIA will be able to narrow down when it was made.

BTW: if you edit your profile to show your location, you may be surprised how many members are near you and once we leave this thread, we won't remember you are in Northern/CA and a lot of answers are location dependent.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the profile pointer!

1 hour ago, njanvilman said:

According to AIA, the anvil was made around 1910 - 1912.

Thank you for the information!

Mickey, you've come to the right place. I'm new here myself and don't know much. But there are a lot of folks here with a wealth of info and all kinds of experience in many areas associated with blacksmithing. 

Just from eyeballing it looks like a pretty nice anvil. Good find.

• 4 months later...

That's a very nice Anvil. Amazing thing is I just inherited one that has Serial # 15237, our Anvils are Kin!  I'd love to see your base as mine does not have an oval depression in it. Same stamp on side though.  Mine is stamped 160 so I'm guessing that month they ran medium sized anvils? Your post made a great day even better,  thank you. I'll post up pics soon. 

Interesting information regarding the serial numbers.  Looking forward to seeing photos of your anvil!

I don't have a photo of the bottom of mine but if I remember correctly it had a fairly smooth bottom without a significant depression.

The face caught my eye as well through pictures when I purchased the anvil.  In person you can see that the bound is sound and the difference in color is just how the metal shows after being cleaned and oiled.

Arm and Hammer didn't dress their anvils as much as a lot of other makers did/  Mine has a visible face seam too and has seen a LOT of use over the last 100+ years---don't remember the exact date for it as that has nothing to do with using it.  It does have a caplet indentation on the bottom...