I Forge Iron

Hello,

My name is Erik and I would really like to find out more about smithing. I live in northern illinois on the wisconsin border so if anyone in the area wants to help out that would be awesome. I think im going to take some welding classes at the local community college and get certified at that. I also saw a place in Charleston IL that gives classes so i might look into that as well.

Basically just wanted to say hello and introduce my self. Ill go back to lurking. thanks

Erik

Erik.....a good place to start is with the Illinois Valley Blacksmith association (IVBA - Illinois Valley Blacksmith Association) and the Upper Midwest Blacksmith Association (UMBA Online). Both organizations are very active in northern Illinois. Check the websites for upcoming meetings and hammer-ins in your general area.

Steve

Erik, if the place in Charleston, Ill is Lorelei Sim's blacksmith shop YOU CAN"T GO WRONG!! TAKE THE CLASS! Would be money well spent! She is an awesome smith and great person to know. I have had the pleasure of attending one of her siminars and have 2 copies of her book "The Backyard Blacksmith" which I use when teaching beginner classes. Also check out the places mentioned in the previous posts.

Oh yeah, Howdy from East TEXAS! and welcome to IFI. Good luck with your welding class also.

Welcome Erik, I highly recommend taken as many formal courses as you can if you want to fast track your skills. Beating on steel on your own is good practice but knowing the hows and whys first make your results more consistent and increase your sense of accomplishment when you turn out something new.