I Forge Iron

Hello from Colorado

ShortMagPirate

Hi. I'm pretty new to metalworking, I've done a little welding and basic stuff but but have always wanted to make knives and other things... finally getting things together to build a forge and jump in with both feet. I've got some scrap steel for the forge parts and a few designs in my head, so hopefully between my hairbrained ideas and some good info here I can put something together that will work.

I'm looking forward to learning how to set things up and get started... I have a few odds and ends, wrenches, hammer heads, rebar, and other scrap steel to get started with.

I also have an small stash of stainless pipe that I would like to make use of.. it's about 1" pipe, with maybe 3/16 thick walls,  in about 36" sticks. I have no idea what it is other than stainless... it was scrap from a job a couple of years ago, cut-offs from some stainless light posts. Would this be usable for anything? I'm guessing it would have to be fluxed and welded to make bars out of the pipe, but I have no idea how that would work. 

Welcome aboard, ShortMagPirate! If you haven't already, please READ THIS FIRST!

Lots of really good information here for smiths at all levels. Please read the pinned posts at the top of the Bladesmithing and Forge sections to get started on the right path.

As for your SS pipe, hold onto it for now. That's an unusual stock, and you want to get some more experience and skill under your belt before you tackle it. Don't worry: it won't spoil.

Welcome aboard. 

What type of forge are you planning to build?

if working with scrap please read through the safety section. Well, should do that any way :) there were things I didn't know about when I started as in not putting chromed or galvanized stuff in the forge. 

Forging stainless pipe into bar is probably not something for beginners but you may be able to fit some of the pipe and straighten/ flatten it for some use. Lots of work tho. 

5 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Lots of work tho. 

Lots of work, and unnecessary. A common newbie trap is thinking they HAVE to use what they have on hand, even if it's hard to work or inappropriate to the job. When you're starting out, it's worth investing some time and/or money in acquiring decent tools and materials: they will make your learning curve a lot more gentle.

Welcome to the forum. If you will edit your profile to include your location, you may be surprised how many of the gang are near you and a lot of answers are location dependent. Most of us will not remember you are in Colorado after we click on another thread and Colorado is a big place.:)

Thanks for the replies... I'm in the process of reading through a bunch of stickies at the moment... lot's of great info and advice here.

As for a forge, I will start with something simple. I have a split piece of thick walled  8" pipe about 18" long that I was thinking would be a good place to start. I also have a nice electric blower motor from an old coal stove and was planning on using for air. I just need to rig a stand and inlets for the air and I think it will work for a starter. Of course, this is all subject to change, adaptation,  improvement etc. I'd probably be money ahead buying a simple forge but I'm a die hard Do-It-Yourselfer and figure building something myself will make it even more fun to work with once I get up and running.

I do need to figure out an anvil of some sort though. Not opposed to spending a little money on a decent one, hopefully I can find something locally.

I'll just sit on my SS pipe for now, until I figure out a creative use for it... maybe I'll make a set of wind chimes for my wife.

I have a good source of various types of scrap steel here at work, so I have no shortage of raw materials to play with.

As a die hard DIY'r you would probably really like "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" Alexander Weygers as he was one too and the book is written in that way.  Give it to yourself for Christmas, it was about US$20 last time I checked.

Have you looked through the thread on Improvised Anvils?   You are far better off with a heavy chunk of steel than many of the ASO's being sold at places like HF!

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

As a die hard DIY'r you would probably really like "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" Alexander Weygers as he was one too and the book is written in that way.  Give it to yourself for Christmas, it was about US$20 last time I checked.

Have you looked through the thread on Improvised Anvils?   You are far better off with a heavy chunk of steel than many of the ASO's being sold at places like HF!

I was just reading through a sticky that referenced that book... I may just go ahead and pick it up.

Haven't got to the Improvised Anvil thread yet, other than a cursory glance. I'll head that way next.

Look at both the anvil stickies and the solid fuel stickies. Forges are simple beasts that we tend to overthink. A 4” slice of that 8” 1/2 pipe with plates welded on the ends would make a nice fire pot, add a piece of schedule 40 3/4” pipe to one side plate an inch off the bottom with a slight up angle and you have a very servicible forge that will burn coal or charcoal. Now mahout it flush with a table top anvil high.

look at the flowers and cat tailed forged from pipe, your SO might just forgive you for becoming a smith! Warning, pluf the end of the pipe or the chimney effect will get the end your holding hot fast!

On re reading my post, angle the tuyere so the end you put air to is up. Charcoal needs very little air I typically use a double acting bed pump. This will heat 1” stock 

6140702E-D806-424D-8CA6-58FC753C9920.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

SMP... love your avatar, hope you don't mind if my wife uses it, she is a Minion fanatic.

No problem... she has good taste in cartoon sidekicks. Drives my wife and kids nuts that I like the little buggers so much...

This is my personal favorite:

Jarheadminion.jpg