I Forge Iron

kick press

I have the opportunity to pick up what I think is called a kick press or kick punch.  it is a behemoth, probably has a four foot square footprint.  has a fixture to accept dies and punches .  It appears to be totally manual, with a pedal you depress which swings the top arm down to connect with the die.  My sense is that despite its size and weight, which is probably over 500 pounds, it does not have a lot of power.  does anyone have experience with this?  My shop is a bit tight on space and though I hate to miss an opportunity, I would hate to have it eat up space for no good purpose.

do a quick google search on kick press and you will get a lot of information.

They sound useful for a lot of applications within their range which is mostly sheet metal and light gage work.

A fly press or a treadle hammer are going to be more useful in a blacksmith shop

I recently had the opportunity to see Dick Spreda’s Weaver Hi-speed press in Stowe, VT and I officially desire one intensely.  They seem to be scarce....of course.  I’ve done an awful lot of digging for information and advice on presses and it seems to me that most smiths stick to a certain few types for a reason.  In the end you have to be willing and able to pay for what the big boys use if you want something that “works”.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have one. used it for punching 1/4" holes in thin aluminum. asside from that, I never found any application that it had sufficent power for. i sold it cheap at SOFA about 15 yrs ago. I had it in my shop about ten years and still wonder what they are good for????

Lou L - I've been jealous of Richard's press for some years now, it works well for what we do.  I worked for Dick on and off around 25 years ago (most of the pro smiths in northern Vermont have at one time or another).  He didn't have it back then, would have saved me an awful lot of hammer blows!