I Forge Iron

scap prices ?

Last I heard, central Illinois places were buying for about $100-125 a ton steel.

Man... it's been a while since I conversed with one of the scrap guys apparently! I caught one of them out at the gas station a few days ago and inquired about prices. Central Illinois is a bit more in line with the rest of y'all at 200 and up from there :) ... or maybe that should be a :( ... or a :mad: ? Not really sure.

-Confused... er... um... Aaron @ the SCF

I kind of have the feeling that we better get it while we can, as the prices may do what they did in the early eighties and have the bottom go out completely.

seriously doubt it, china and india are growing like crazy and that's where all the extra demand is coming from. my suggestion, buy bigger locks and get a shop dog. with big teeth.

Scrap prices are up here too. Prices have been higher for the past year or so. A few years ago, hauling scrap was hardly worth the trouble.....(low prices)

The problem I see is this;
Old agricultural and industrial steel that was once 'free for the asking', is disappearing fast around here.

I haven't bought any new steel for a while, but with scrap prices so high, I dread to see what new steel will cost in 6 months or a year.

I never haul away anything I can imagine a use for in the future........but then....I'm a 'packrat'!

James

Well I have a "small" scrap pile to give away to any locals trying to make a few bucks recycling steel. it is stuff thats so bad thet even I don't want it! Galvanized steel, rusted out sheet metal, etc. Most of it is stuff I have been "given" or had to take to get some good stuff by people trying to clean up an area.

Then I have a scrap pile of "trading material" stuff not too useful for me but might have a better home with someone else. Mobile home axles (though I hope to make jib cranes from a couple of these), etc.

Then there is my real scrap pile of useful steel and wrought iron---guarded and as far away from the street as you can get on my lot and hidden by the bulk of my shop.

Store bought steel is stored inside the shop!

Steel got so high that a local person got someone to haul away about a 20' long x10' wide by 4' high mess of bailing wire from near their corral! It was truly amazing...

Steel got so high that a local person got someone to haul away about a 20' long x10' wide by 4' high mess of bailing wire from near their corral! It was truly amazing...

WOW!

Maybe he had a bunch of old biplanes to repair. Was he chewing gum?

Frosty