I Forge Iron

Fitting nightmare

Jaja

So I decided to go with this burner design:

Link removed due to language.

Its simple, no welding required and it works.

I plan on using LPG to power my forge. Where I'm from, the tanks (20lb) only seem to accept 35mm clip on regulators (RUBIGAS). Hence, I needed to find a clip on adapter to match the 3/8" fitting for the regulator he used. I have a 100 USD budget and so far I'm pretty much maxed out. I don't have room to buy the ONLY adapter that matches the requirements (about 30 Euro....ridiculous) plus the extra fitting to match the 3/8 inch flare (the adapter doesn't provide a direct conversion). Does anyone have any suggestions to modify the design and reduce the cost? Or a better solution for hooking up his regulator to the tanks we use? If you provide a different burner design again, please note the following constraints:

- 100 US budget (for EVERYTHING, down to the regulator)

- Can only order through Amazon (none of the parts listed can be sourced locally or is ridiculously expensive)

- Must fit the 35 mm clip on type tanks....must.

- Minimal assembly required for the burner. Meaning, no welding and minimal drilling involved (I have to outsource these services which means more time and more money spent).

I built this burner.  It seems to work quite well, though at the moment, mounted in my forge it is rich, so I'm still working on it.  I did the bourdeux modification.  I understand there are also modifications where you install a mig tip for the jet.  I did not do that.  built it just as shown.  I think I have $20 in the burner and another $20 in the hose and regulator.  I have a thread in gas forges "Another Newbie" showing my progress to date where in the experts have been providing me some valuable input. 

burner.gif

Thats a pretty simple and cool design. I checked out your post. How did you connect the 1/8" nipple to your tank? That is the section people generally don't talk about when designing gas forges. Its a mystery what happens from your burner to the tank for me when I see these posts.

Useless and excessive quote removed to reduce bandwidth

On 11/29/2017 at 12:17 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Propane rated hose from the burner to the regulator that hooks onto the propane tank---pretty much the same for EVERY burner and so not covered as it's a given.

Assuming you are all using the same propane tank head. Unfortunately, its not the same everywhere. The fittings seem to vary. But it makes sense why its not mentioned now.

On 11/29/2017 at 12:21 PM, MotoMike said:

I used two adapters, 1/8npt female to 1/4 female and a 1/4 npt male to 3/8 male flare.  there are other ways, but that is what the local had.

Thanks I'll try switching to your design and see if it makes a difference in cost.

MotoMike: I also noticed you have two parts between the nipple and the 1/8 npt to 1/4" female. Are those just to extend the length or do they have another purpose? If so, what parts are they? (Referencing the second picture in your original post btw).

Jaja

Let me qualify my status.  I don't know much yet and have built this by standing on the shoulders of giants. I chose that Reil burner because it was the simplest that I could find that had a track record for being functional.   I believe burner design has made several improvements since this one was on the street. 

In the second pic the nipple in the intake bell is brass, the next coupler and next nipple are galvanized.  that is where I planned on putting the pressure gauge when I initially started but did not yet have a tee or pressure gauge.  I wanted brass where it would be close to the heat owed to the dangers of heating galvanized pipe too high. Some have said that the jet nipple is not close enough to the flame to be concerned about galvanized but I erred on the side of caution.  All that plumbing after the brass nipple was chosen mostly to move the hose away from the hot areas.  ultimately the elbow in the last pics was to move the hose down and to give it a more natural bend. 

Mike

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

No, that is not the way it goes----You buy a propane regulator that fits your tank LOCALLY and then everything else connects to it. If you cannot find tank fittings then how can you get propane in the first place?

The regulators sold locally are all for cooking. Pressure is too low. Hence why I need those regulators similar to the ones welders typically use (at least based on what I read they seem to work for forge applications...Im still learning), and these don't connect to the G.56 heads. Hence why I am going through all this trouble. Unless there is a simpler solution. I emailed the local gas company but I'm still waiting for a response. So just doing as much research as a I can in the mean time.

4 hours ago, MotoMike said:

Let me qualify my status.  I don't know much yet and have built this by standing on the shoulders of giants. I chose that Reil burner because it was the simplest that I could find that had a track record for being functional.   I believe burner design has made several improvements since this one was on the street. 

In the second pic the nipple in the intake bell is brass, the next coupler and next nipple are galvanized.  that is where I planned on putting the pressure gauge when I initially started but did not yet have a tee or pressure gauge.  I wanted brass where it would be close to the heat owed to the dangers of heating galvanized pipe too high. Some have said that the jet nipple is not close enough to the flame to be concerned about galvanized but I erred on the side of caution.  All that plumbing after the brass nipple was chosen mostly to move the hose away from the hot areas.  ultimately the elbow in the last pics was to move the hose down and to give it a more natural bend.

Makes alot of sense. Though based on what I've read so far galvanized steel is not recommended for gas, especially natural gas if you ever decide to use it. I'll check out the original designs as well and modify them to suit if needed.

1 hour ago, Jaja said:

And it is still on the street for looks of reasons; not least of which is how easily it can be upgraded when its user wants more from his forge. 

Many torch regulators can be used with LPG fuels, but the most useful one is a 0-30 PSI LPG regulator (the cheaper 0-20 types are good enough for forge use). Some shop regulators can be used--but never old acetylene regulators; some new acetylene regulators have seals that won't be dissolved by LPG fuels. Unless you have a gas equipment EXPERT telling you that a newer acetylene regulator has the right kind of seals, don't use them; gas equipment fires are not fun.

NOTHING prevents you from using any LPG regulator you like. It doesn't matter about matching up threaded fittings. Regulators can all be put together with any pipe fitting you like, using a short length of fuel hose, and barbed hose fittings.

I like how you said threaded fittings. G.56 is not a threaded fitting. Its a 35mm clip on fitting. Hence the (apparent) need for an adapter (which seems to be darn near impossible to find on US Amazon). Good tip on the acetylene regulators.

Just to clarify, my issue is not finding a regulator (with the required PSI) of the plethora of options out there. Its getting one that either directly fits the G.56 tank heads....or finding an adapter that will convert to any screw type fitting.

Have you contacted the propane distributor? They'll be able to set you up from the tank to where you start building. Just don't tell them you're making a forge burner they all seem to want to sell you one for an outdoor stove. The cheap set up is to buy a weed burner, you get the hose, regulator, needle valve and some pipe fittings.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:12 PM, Frosty said:

Have you contacted the propane distributor? They'll be able to set you up from the tank to where you start building. Just don't tell them you're making a forge burner they all seem to want to sell you one for an outdoor stove. The cheap set up is to buy a weed burner, you get the hose, regulator, needle valve and some pipe fittings.

Frosty The Lucky.

Still waiting for a response from them. I know I may seem a bit impatient but the plan was to get this done before the end of this week. Getting all the parts that is. I study abroad and this will likely be my last "vacation" home. Afterward its likely I'll be trying to settle elsewhere and find a job. But I will keep at it. If anyone has had any experience with these types of tanks and their connections (G.56 35mm clip on) then feel free to pitch in. I could use all the advice I can get.