I Forge Iron

first forge weld

Well heres the first try at forge welding. I stacked four ~4-5 inch by 1 inch pieces of metal and wired them together at two places. I made a cocoon of fire brick around the pot to make it hotter with less air. Pulled it out to flux at red and put it back in until I saw the borax bubbling. Gave it about 3-4 strikes with hammer, refluxed, put it back and hit the same spot to make sure it held. I did that for about have the billet then took the remaining wire off and switched sides.

I think it went fine until I tried hitting the side and delaminated one of the top pieces. Tried to reweld that but it kept coming off. 

Im probably gonna have to make another pair of tongs with taller jaws so I can hold the billet more securely.

Please tell me what you think I did wrong.

IMG_20171124_164224.jpg

IMG_20171124_164203.jpg

Yes, that is precisely what i was talking about. When your up to forge welding temperature for most alloys (not all inclusive) there will be a misty smoke or steam, just a jclonts has shown, that will come off of the steel. I do not know exactly what causes it, but, again, for *most* alloys, its a good indication that you are up to temp. 

Yes, that is precisely what i was talking about. When your up to forge welding temperature for most alloys (not all inclusive) there will be a misty smoke or steam, just a jclonts has shown, that will come off of the steel. I do not know exactly what causes it, but, again, for *most* alloys, its a good indication that you are up to temp.