I Forge Iron

Good knife steel?

Ian Stone

I have been blacksmithing for about 3 years now. And am wanting to get into knife and tool making but I haven’t found a lot of good info on knife steels. I have made a few file knifes and 1085-1095 knifes but want to do something with a higher alloy steel. Any advice is welcome! 

Ian

Search the Forums, or:

Buy Steve Sells Book, it is mentioned in a thread above this one.     I have a copy, it is a good reference.

And this one:  The Complete Bladesmith: Forging Your Way To Perfection                   by Jim Hrisoulas

All your questions will be answered by reading both.

I use 1095, 5160, and L6.     

Not knowing which of the 100+ different countries that are represented here it's rather a waste of time to post sources unless you express a willingness to pay for shipping from 1/2 way across the world---or you can edit your profile to list a general location and so have that as a given for this and all future questions...

Really you could be in Australia, Iceland, Brazil, South Africa, The Netherlands, Canada, India; all places I remember folks posting from *recently*.

29 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Not knowing which of the 100+ different countries that are represented here it's rather a waste of time to post sources unless you express a willingness to pay for shipping from 1/2 way across the world---or you can edit your profile to list a general location and so have that as a given for this and all future questions...

Really you could be in Australia, Iceland, Brazil, South Africa, The Netherlands, Canada, India; all places I remember folks posting from *recently*.

Yep, my biggest peeve on forums.   Tell us where you are located!

You can buy 5160 and 1095 on ebay.    

Sorry I didn’t know I could set my location. Well anyway I live in Ohio. Thanks Dylan Sawicki that supplier sounds good.

3 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

there is a supplier lists in the section of knife reference material

What is your book called I am interested?