I Forge Iron

Another Trenton anvil ID

Hi! I was just given this Trenton anvil and was hoping for some help dating it. Stamped on the side is the diamond trenton logo, below that "Solid Wrought" with USA stamped underneath it. On the front right is A26369  and front left is what looks like a sideways 7 and then 85. Thanks in advance and if anyone could point me to a short blurb on the history of Trenton anvils I'd appreciate that too. 

I've only been in the smithing business for about 24 hours now (when I was randomly given the anvil), I just stumbled across this site, looks like a group of friendly people with a wealth of knowledge, will definitely be sticking around. 

Thanks! 

IMG_1008.jpeg

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1009.jpeg

IMG_1012.jpeg

Welcome aboard Jameson, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might have members of the gang within visiting distance.

NICE SCORE! She's in excellent condition, have you done a rebound test? Bounce a ball bearing on the face and estimate how far it bounces back, (rebounds) and gusstimate it as a %. Drop it from the 10" mark in front of a ruler if you're not good at estimating by eyeball. Do this in a pattern over the entire face look and listen for dead spots. Expect rebound to decline as you move towards the heal and horn. And NO don't do a bearing rebound test on the horn UNLESS you enjoy chasing bearings around the shop and crawling under stuff! :rolleyes:

There's plenty of good reading to help get you started in the craft. If nothing else it'll give yo a handle on the jargon so you know what folk are talking about and let you ask good questions without having to describe everything and understand our answers. Don't think we're just being picky if we ask you for clarification when you ask questions. Try to be specific. I know it's not easy, especially in the beginning, we're just breaking things down so we can give you meaningful answers.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:50 PM, jameson2500 said:

Hi! I was just given this Trenton anvil and was hoping for some help dating it. Stamped on the side is the diamond trenton logo, below that "Solid Wrought" with USA stamped underneath it. On the front right is A26369  and front left is what looks like a sideways 7 and then 85. Thanks in advance and if anyone could point me to a short blurb on the history of Trenton anvils I'd appreciate that too. 

I've only been in the smithing business for about 24 hours now (when I was randomly given the anvil), I just stumbled across this site, looks like a group of friendly people with a wealth of knowledge, will definitely be sticking around. 

Thanks! 

IMG_1008.jpeg

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1009.jpeg

IMG_1012.jpeg

Your anvil is from 1902.  The 85 means it was about 85 lb when forged.  Made in Ohio.

• 1 month later...