I Forge Iron

Beginner seeking advice on a small propane forge

EnthusiasticAmateur93

Hello so I've never forged anything in my life but want to get started I'm looking for suggestions on setting up a small soft firebrick and propane set up and my first project will be tent stakes apart from the general set up any advice would be appreciated  what color to look for in the steel exe something you wish you knew starting out also pictures help thanks in advance 

Why don't you get a book on basic blacksmithing that includes a colour chart in it?  Where I live tentstakes are a large item due to high winds and so a small propane forge may not be large enough to heat 1/2" sq stock for stakes.  Remember the end should be a short blunt taper and if you break the edges before you turn the top ropes will last longer.

Welcome aboard UR93? glad to have you. If you'll put  your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

A number of the guys in our club have small forges about a 2 brick size though we've begun using 3, they last longer. Approx 2" dia. bore and the back can be opened as a pass through. Powered by a single 1/2" T you have to keep it turned down to prevent melting your stock.

I'll see if I can get Teenylittlemetalguy in on this discussion, he's WAY better at 1/2" Ts than I am, his are SCREAMING HOT.

Mike Porter has brought an insulating refractory tile to our attention recently that is MUCH more durable than insulating fire brick for a better price. I believe they're called  K 26 by Morgan. . . something or other. They're supposed to last and be flux resistant. Soft brick tends to crumble from the rapid thermal cycling above their general limit. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I just turn mine inside out every week.  Like a fresh pair!

Seriously EA93, welcome to the group.  Good luck with building your forge!  I would very much suggest, before you throw a lot of money and effort into a hobby you've never even participated in (and this hobby will take as much or as little as you throw at it), try to find someone local who does it and ask if you can come by and try it out.  Learn the basics first so you don't get frustrated trying things that are way beyond you. 

I had good results by googeling my state + blacksmith.  There may be a club within driving distance. 

If you use genuine talcum powder in your shorts by time they won't bend enough to wear they'll be an asbestos forge liner. Embedded hairs will even provide insulation. And for win #3 your neighbors will stop complaining about the coal forge!

Winner WINNER Chicken Dinner!!

Frosty The Lucky.