I Forge Iron

My tire hammer finally finished - video

Well, it's finally finished. I tore it down Saturday and the wife cleaned and painted it for me. Great gal that one!

I ran out of grease zerks and will have to make a run to TSC.  I believe the lead shrank a bit after I welded in

a "V" shaped stop inside the hammer right after pouring the lead in. I have to figure that one out yet. It doesn't seem to affect the 

awesome striking power any. Here's the video I made right after re-assembly.  I love the control ability. Now to make some specialized tooling for it.

Stitch

Nice!  I had the lead come loose on mine, it was bought second hand and had run for a couple of years before I got it, and run hard for several years after I got it.  It eventually got to the point the block of lead was sliding up the hammer tube and smacking into the toggle arm pins while running.

I plugged the lower die bolt holes with bolts and put the head over my turkey frier/scrap lead melter and remelted it.  Afterward stuck a 1/8" plate down inside the tube and welded the corners so it couldn't move again.

That is a brilliant idea! Will! I welded an "L" shaped piece of steel inside the hammer tube for now and yep, it stopped the
movement. It was only moving about 3/8" until it hit the "V" shaped stop I had previously welded in so hopefully that will hold for a while.
If I ever have to re-melt the lead, I am going to use your method. Thank you!

I hammered out a fleshing fork last night from some 1/4 x 3/4 mild steel and it was fun and quick drawing it out on the standard tooling blocks! It went so quick, I forgot to make a video. I will make one today I hope.

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2017 at 6:14 PM, Charles R. Stevens said:

Might I suggest building your dies on the diagonal, so long stock doesn't hit the hammer frame. 

Is that why people put the dies on the diagonal, I was overthinking it. It is always funny when you see something that turns out to have a very simple answer.

Congratulation Stich, wish you many happy forging hours with the new machine. Just get a Deja’vu, I also ask the boss at home to do the paint job.

Maybe another tip, be aware that the dices (and you) can get hurt if you let them run ‘cold’ against each other. I usually try them out with some wood or a piece of rubber conveyor belt between them. Even when I not use the hammer I always have a wooden block between them. The dices are holy to me.

Got two sets of dices and several hardy tools and able to do almost everything with them. Just busy to build some fuller tools to forge repeating pieces like balls, rosettes and leafs.

Enjoy your hammer.

Cheers, Hans

IMG_20171126_154246.jpg

IMG_20171126_154310.jpg

Very nice hammer.  I like the way the head is secured in its tube.  For future reference too prevent the lead from coming loose weld some ears into the inside of the head or run a a rod from one side to the other to give the lead something to form around.

1 hour ago, Kal said:

Very nice hammer.  I like the way the head is secured in its tube.  For future reference too prevent the lead from coming loose weld some ears into the inside of the head or run a a rod from one side to the other to give the lead something to form around.

Thank you! Man, that's a great idea Kal! Wish I'd known about that before I poured the lead! Oh well.... Next time!