I Forge Iron

Hello from Worcester, Mass!

JoeMogul

Hello! I'm Joe, and I'm pretty new to art, having only been involved for the last couple of months. I recently left a full time job to go back to school, during which time a friend who has a backyard forge invited me over to do some blacksmithing. I loved it to the point that I wound up purchasing an old anvil, built a small coal forge, and have been setting up a little smithy in my garage. I'm a full time University student, and working part time on campus, but I'm still finding time to learn as much as I can about blacksmithing and bladesmithing.

Having worked in construction in my teens and early twenties, I got used to learning through OJT and learning from my lumps when I screwed-up.

I've done a bit of martial arts and HEMA, which prompted my interest is in bladesmithing, and I've already made several knives and one axe head (which I botched... failure is there to learn from I guess).

I've already started going through all the old threads, and want to learn as much as I can about the craft.

Thanks for reading my intro!

Welcome aboard Joe, glad to have you. You can take your lumps eh> Good blacksmithing can get lumpy. :o Learning from your mistakes is good but we have a different philosophy, we think learning from somebody else's mistakes is WAY better. Fewer problems in life if you let someone else take the lumps. Hmmm? ;)

So far you've discovered blacksmithing is:

Addictive. . . . Check

Fun. . . . Check.

It can get pretty expensive? 

Requires room to keep all the treasures and resources you keep bringing home?

Oh, there're more but that's enough for a first day.

Frosty The Lucky.

One of the best thing's I did was join the NEB. This years fall meet is in Goshen Connecticut in a few weeks. It will be my second meet, first one was the 2017 spring meet. They had a really good demonstrator last year. And plenty of good tools for sale. Also the last Saturday of every month their is an open forge at the brentwood teaching facility. You pay 20 bucks and you get to use the forges for the whole day, really great program.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Olson said:

Hey Joe. You should tell the members how to say worcester. My wife was there on business and got grief for saying it wrong. They were nice ladies and teased her all day about it. 

Kevin, there are two ways to pronounce 'Worcester'...

The first way is 'Wiss-tah', like 'Sistah' (Bostonian accent amplified)

the second way is 'Woo-sta', which is how most people here pronounce it.

Hope that helps!

Let's see anybody explain why phonetics is relevant to English, anybody's version of English. have a young one learning to read sound out phonetic some time.

I used to work with a guy from Bahstn, he always ordered extra rar onion on his burger at the drive through and ate it in his cah.

The more I think about it the more I realize we should stop giving kids grief for speaking ghetto or texting rather than writing. Maybe learn Latin or Greek if we don't like a living language?

Frosty The Lucky.