I Forge Iron

Just another newb in Clarksville, TN

Hey y'all. Been reading through site for a little over a week now and am SO glad I found this site.

I've been interested in forging since I was a kid watching older family members, in eastern Ky, make what they needed to farm or timber with. Just now taking a serious interest and am doing a ton of reading on here before I even take a serious swing at metal. Thanks to all experienced folks on here in advance for the advice.

1 hour ago, Woodyard said:

I am another newb not too terrible far from you. I am in Dresden,TN.  Maybe we can locate someone in the middle that can help us along.

Happy to meet ya Woodyard.

That would be awesome, but I work a rotating shift at Bridgestone and am still new there, it'll be hard for me to find reasonable time to meet with someone to learn from. At least for the time being, but am willing to try.

45 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Welcome to Glenn's front porch, pore yourself a glass of tea and join the conversation.

Thank you Mr. Stevens! As long as it's sweet tea, don't mind if I do.

Welcome aboard Thomas, glad to have you. Looks like you'll fit in fine once we help you overcome your inherent shy streak. Southern sweet tea is for folk who don't know how to make ice tea. South western desert rat sun tea is best on earth, sweeten it up to taste. :P

Good to have you guys, if you'll do some reading it'll give you a handle on the jargon so you'll have an idea what we're talking about, be able to ask good questions and understand the answers. It helps really.

Frosty The Lucky.

I think the IFI members from Grat Britain are clenching their jaws and quivering trying not to jump into a "best tea" debate with Americans!

Welcome to the forum!  Best way to learn is to hit some metal and try a small project to give you context.  Start simple and very cheap...like sledge hammer head anvil cheap...and then, when you read things will make even more sense.

Enjoy the journey,

Lou

Charles, if you haven't used a French press to make your coffee yet do it.  Get the water boiling them turn it off and wait til the bubbling sounds is gone...about 205 degrees...them pour it into the coffee grounds.  Wait about four minutes or more if you want stronger and press the grounds down.  One sip and you will nevertheless go back.

That sounds like how I make camp coffee Lou. Wait till the water just stops boiling toss in a large handful and a medium handful of grounds and wait for them to settle. Do NOT swirl the pot before you pour! A friend I used to hunt and camp with always complained about how he hated grounds in his coffee but had to swirl the camp pot before pouring a cup. Some people.

Coffee hot and black, about a pot and a half a day, I'm slowing down you know but I've been drinking coffee since I was 9 or so. good stuff mmmmmm.

I like hot tea, especially green but iced should be sun brewed Red Rose. In S. Cal we bought it in gallon size bags and brewed in a pickle jar. left at room temp in the sun it never goes cloudy or stale. 

Caffeine, good stuff however you get it.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

But my first love is coffee, black strong and hot, but hold the French roast and the Colombian. 

Haha, the nectar of the gods! To me it doesn't matter where it was grown, as long as it's hot and strong enough to jump in my cup when I whistle.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome gentlemen! Looking forward to lots more great reading and more hammer swinging. You won't hear much from me unless for some jovial banter or to ask a question, which I'm sure I will have a few. Thanks again gentlemen.

A robust second of the French press recommendation, especially if you grind the beans fresh. We got a coffee grinder on sale a few years back that has a reservoir for the unground beans (which is not ideal storage, but acceptable) and can be preset for the amount and coarseness to be ground. Fill the electric kettle the evening before, and when you stumble groggy and bleary-eyed into the kitchen first thing in the morning, all you have to do is push the button on the grinder and the switch on the kettle. The only problem is that it wakes up the pit bulls before I'm actually ready to walk them.

I used to love sweet tea, but recently had to give up sweets (or at least processed sugar) for my health.

I'll third the French press. I won't go back. I'll also make hot tea with it and if I add any herbs or mint just toss it in no need for a fancy tea infusor. And sun tea is great. I toss mint leaves in with that as well when I can. I'm probably on the diabetic path since I like to sweeten it up. 

No rats join me tho. Sometimes the cats do.