I Forge Iron

3"x3" steel plates

Anthony Mans

I recently found a whole 5 gallon bucket worth of 3x3 steel plates. Some look to be 1/2 inch and some look to be 3/8 inch. Was wondering if there's any hot uses for these because if so, I may have hit a small payload because they are free! Any input is much appreciated!

im sure there are about a billion different things that can be made, just wonder if 3x3 is too small to bother with 

You can dish or sink them for bowls, candle holders, sculptural elements. Lots of guys make some cool things with squares about that size. The 1/2" I'd be thinking of using them structurally. I'd sure bring the bucket home with me.

Frosty The Lucky.

Weld them up into a 24" square checkerboard (high-and-low instead of black-and-white) and then forge a set of chess pieces.

No, wait -- you only have 20 of each, and you'd need 32 (64 total). Are you sure they don't have more? 

6 hours ago, JHCC said:

Weld them up into a 24" square checkerboard (high-and-low instead of black-and-white) and then forge a set of chess pieces.

I think I'm going to have to find me a few pieces myself now. I've been thinking about forging a chess set for a while just haven't made the time. 

6 hours ago, Anthony Mans said:

That would be neat though but I emptied the bucket Haha

It just occurs to me that you could take one of squares and divide it into four 1½" x 1½" squares. Leave one diagonal pair alone, and texture the other pair in some way (chisel, etch, subtle ball peening, etc). Repeat fifteen times, assemble into a full  8 x 8 chessboard.

This way, you get the same effect, but you only use a quarter of the your 3x3s, and you don't have to make the chess pieces quite as big..