I Forge Iron

Summer junk yard art

Recently my dad (Bearded guy) introduced me to some of the awesome work on this website and it inspired me to try some of the ideas on my own. I did 99% of the work, welding and ideas my dad helped very little. My dad let me raid his junk pile for some ideas on some critters. He said y'all loved photos so here are some critters. also any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing I made was a weeney dog made from a ratchet, sockets, and bolts.

Next I made an iguana out of channel locks and a dirt bike sprocket

After that I saw an old chain link and I really wanted to make a horse out of a chain link, channel locks and some bolts

Soon after we went to the nearby flee market and I scored a ton of rusted goodies and I thought to my self that one of those $1 pair of pliers would make a good alligator with some chain and bolts.

My brother found some stuff in the junk pile and made a tank out of some bolts, chain, sprocket, and a slab of metal.

Me and my brother wanted our dad to make a coat rack out of a huge wrench we found in the shed and some bolts.

Last but not least I found a big spring and axle part and instantly thought of a heffalump I used wrenches for the ears, sockets for the trunk, and bolts for the legs. 

I really appreciate all the inspiration and ideas from this wonder and talented group of people.

DSCN3991.JPG

DSCN3992.JPG

DSCN3993.JPG

DSCN4003.JPG

DSCN4000.JPG

DSCN4015.JPG

DSCN4016.JPG

DSCN4019.JPG

DSCN4017.JPG

DSCN4021.JPG

DSCN4028.JPG

DSCN4029.JPG

DSCN4023.JPG

DSCN4026.JPG

20170716_142402.jpg

Welcome aboard Spawn of Bearded Guy, glad to have you. I assume you're the person wearing the Affordable Sanitation T holding the. . . Heffalump(?) and your brother is the fellow trying to look menacing while holding the tank? I'm pretty sure I have the bearded guy straight.

Some of your critters look darned good, some less so. Access to the resource center (NOT junk pile! <shudder>) and practice will really start to show in your work soon. You both have a good eye and practice will help you develop scale positioning and polish. 

Have you done any forging? I'm pretty sure the bearded guy and you two can come up with a forge and something heavy and hard to use for an anvil, hammers of course and you guys can make tongs easy enough. I don't have any criticism, you two are just starting and have plenty of time to develop the skills sets to make critiques useful. For now, have fun, learn to weld and BE SAFE!

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lou is right. Once you start on the recycled art track, you never look at things the same way again. Your creations are a great start - you will develop an eye for detail and proportion with experience. Please keep us posted on your future critters.

(Good to see you welding in a good open space. Be careful with the fumes off metal like bike chains and car parts. Chrome and cadmium are not good for you.)

Those are some cool creations Spawn. Fun what you can make from scrap isn't it. :) keep the imagination going. 

If you get an idea for something in the off time, just collect the pieces that you need together for when you get the chance to make it. 

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Spawn of Bearded Guy, glad to have you. I assume you're the person wearing the Affordable Sanitation T holding the. . . Heffalump(?)

Have you done any forging?

Yes I am the girl holding the elephant/heffalump  i always called them heffalumps because of winnie the pooh.

I have done some forging but not much yet all I did was make a wall hook with my dads help.

Thanks for the welcoming, kind words and encouragement

Thanks Frosty, Lou, Daswulf, Ausfire, and ThomasPowers I have seen a bunch of y'alls work and it is great to get your advice and kind words.

You're more than welcome, there aren't enough Ladysmiths in the world. I grew up with long hair as the norm and wasn't about to guess. Personally I don't think it matters at the anvil. 

For an odd advantage, ladies tend not to have the upper body strength so they have much better hammer control. Putting the hammer where and how you want it is WAY more important than hitting it hard. Just keep at it, you'll get good you have a good eye the rest comes with practice.

Here's a tip for you. Naming your pieces so there is product recognition is a GOOD marketing practice. Lots of folk grew up reading Winnie the Poo and will recognize the name and see the resemblance. EVEN if there weren't much resemblance, planting the seed will plant the association in a customer's mind. Provided there is enough of course. You can't make a leaf but you can make steel represent a leaf well enough the observer's eye will fill in the blanks and ignore the mistakes. Bob Ross.

I predate Winnie the Poo, I grew up reading "Dick and Jane" stories, talk about STUPID "stories"!. "The Cat in The Hat", "Tom and Jerry," "Tweety and Sylvester," etc. Cartoons on TV when I was your age showed characters getting limbs lopped off with clevers, showing surprisingly good details: fur, skin, fat layer, muscle, bone, marrow. Popeye used to more than sock Brutus in the eye you know.

There were cartoons my parents wouldn't let us watch along with some series like "Gang Busters."

Ahhhh the good old days! 

Frosty The Lucky.